PDA

View Full Version : Flat File Import

Neil Washbrook
August 16th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Currently I run a slightly modificed dcscripts product for a file library which I can fairly easily manipulate to get a flat file output of its contents. Is there a flat file import into vbGallery available to make the job of repopulating a little less painfull

Brian
August 16th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Not really... If you can post one of those flat files here though I *may* be able to help you with an import.

Neil Washbrook
August 16th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Well basically I can create a flat file in any format needed as I can do the programming for that bit <grin>

Probably along the lines of
Date|Category|Title|Description|Url|DownloadCount

Neil Washbrook
August 16th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Without any manipulation at all the file looks like this

000002248|000000123|B-1B-sh007|DEscription|http://www.netwings.org/files/fs2004/repaints/B-1B-sh007/B-1B-sh007.zip|xxxxx|yyyyyy|0|0|0|1119891853

Which is
Unique ID
Category - this would have to be maniipulated to match new category
Title
Description - can be fairly lengthy so may need to be clipped
URL
User Name - for import fairly irrelevant
User Email - for import fairly irrelevant
Download Count
Dont Care (Number of Ratings)
Dont Care (Average Rating)
Time Stamp

Brian
August 17th, 2005, 12:38 PM
It shouldn't be too hard to "convert" that into some SQL queries. If you're not familiar with MySQL and would prefer, you could just submit a support ticket via the Members' Area here, be sure to include the info on how to get to your old links directory and get the flat file, and I'll be glad to take care of the import for you.

Neil Washbrook
September 8th, 2005, 07:23 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding - between that post and this one had to have an operation on my foot! I can probably do it myself when the time comes but will raise a ticket if I get a problem