PDA

View Full Version : FTP Questions

Greebo
May 18th, 2005, 09:29 AM
I'm interested in knowing more about how FTP works in correlation with the gallery. Is there a document with a more specific overview?

Greebo
May 18th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Some of my initial questions are:

- Is an independently running FTP daemon required?
- If so, does that mean an ftp account is needed for each user?
- Can ftp uploading be restricted by user group?

Thats a start...

Brian
May 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
There are instructions in the readme file that explain how the FTP uploads work.

1). Shouldn't be.
2). Probably not... If you trust the users that will be uploading and don't mind them being able to upload to other user's folders then you can just create one "global" FTP account that has access to your /gallery/users folder and explain to your users that they will need to create a sub-folder named according to their userid. Otherwise you should create separate accounts for each user pointing to /gallery/users/{userid}.
3). Yes, there is an option for that when you edit your usergroup permissions.

Zachery
May 18th, 2005, 01:02 PM
1. it does require some ftpd or other method of putting the files into that directory.

Greebo
May 18th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Thanks Zachery.

I'm not currently running an ftpd - I'm using SSH only ftp connections for my server work.

Can anyone recommend a good ftp daemon which can be secured to block anonymous connections and keep users restricted to a specific root dir?

Zachery
May 18th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Im using pure-ftp via cpanel. Not sure what ftpd's are out there really. I am guessing you are on linux?

http://pureftpd.org/

Greebo
May 19th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Correct - redhat 9. Virtual server which I gutted (it came with plesk) so now everything is CLI. I'll check out pureftpd, thanks!

Zachery
May 19th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Check them out, it runs awsome on my servers, never had a problem.