PDA

View Full Version : Allow users to collect images and download ZIP file?

tommy0910
April 10th, 2005, 05:11 AM
Hello,

I'm just testing several galleries and there is a feature in 4images which is quite useful. It's called 'lightbox' and allows the users to collect images from all over the gallery and add them to the lightbox. Finally, you can download all images, which have been added to the lightbox, as a single zip file.

Is that possible in your Gallery?

MadMan
April 10th, 2005, 08:14 AM
I am asking the same question and other thing how are images stored in the folder are for every categoriy is folder or all images are in one folder and bulk upload is it the sam as photohost have or can you explain how it works.

Please answer i will buy vbadvanced gallery if it got functions that i need so i must know

Brian
April 10th, 2005, 11:13 AM
There's currently not an option to download images like this, but there may be something similar in a future version.

Images are stored according to the userid, basically the same way vB stores attachments. If the userid is 784, then their images will be stored in gallery/files/7/8/4. This works much better than sorting them according to their category as moving files and such does not cause any additional processing to move the file.

MadMan
April 11th, 2005, 01:20 AM
Ok but what happends when a user upload 20 000 pics and they are all in one folder isnt that a little big for a folder to navigate and ftp client only displays 2000 files

Brian
April 11th, 2005, 10:52 AM
What happens when you store them according to the category and you have 20,000 images in one category?

MadMan
May 5th, 2005, 12:03 PM
What happens when you store them according to the category and you have 20,000 images in one category?

And where are the thumbs stored and other thing are there a medium images like in photopost or not?

ConqSoft
May 5th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Thumbs are stored in the same location. You have thumbnails, "normal" images (resized to the size you choose), and you also have the option to tell it to keep the full resolution original for viewing also.

MadMan
May 5th, 2005, 12:14 PM
why aren't thumbs and full resolution in the folders like in the photopost this is all messy

ConqSoft
May 5th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Mainly because THIS ISN'T PHOTOPOST. ;)

People aren't browsing your folders looking at images, so why do you care how it's handling it in the background?

MadMan
May 5th, 2005, 12:20 PM
Say you have about 50 000 pics and multiply that by 3 that is 150 000 pics in one folder i don't know about you but the server will have to do a lot of searching in one folder for a specific image. I thing its not a big bother for developers of the gallery to add this feature.

ConqSoft
May 5th, 2005, 12:22 PM
TrackPads.com *was* the largest (or one of the largest) PhotoPost sites. They are now running Gallery and their site performance increased. They have a quarter-million images.

http://www.trackpads.com/media

MadMan
May 5th, 2005, 12:30 PM
i have one question does the gallery have pop-up image code integrated in RC4 like that hack that when clicking on the thumb the img code is automatically copied in the thread in the forum.

ConqSoft
May 5th, 2005, 12:30 PM
That's a hack available in the Gallery Hacks forum here.

MadMan
May 5th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Brian have written in one of the thread in this forum that he will put it in RC3

MadMan
May 5th, 2005, 12:39 PM
do you know when Brian comes to forum

ConqSoft
May 5th, 2005, 12:41 PM
Brian have written in one of the thread in this forum that he will put it in RC3

Where's that thread?

It already shows the IMG code below the image, that you can copy/paste into a post, if that's what you mean. You can see that in the sample Gallery here on this site.

MadMan
May 5th, 2005, 12:43 PM
Where's that thread?

It already shows the IMG code below the image, that you can copy/paste into a post, if that's what you mean. You can see that in the sample Gallery here on this site.

http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4217

ConqSoft
May 5th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Here:

MadMan
May 5th, 2005, 12:48 PM
the hack is the fastes way you simply click on the thumb and vola the img code is in the thread text filed

ConqSoft
May 5th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Brian was saying that the IMG code would be shown under the image in RC3, he wasn't responding to the post about Geek's pop-up image hack.

MadMan
May 5th, 2005, 12:58 PM
thats to bad but the hack will do, how are you with the gallery i use photopost haveing problems with style and with some other stuff how does the importer works have you tested it.