PDA

View Full Version : How flexible is Gallery? (i'm looking for simple)

Erik
February 20th, 2005, 07:48 PM
Ok, so I may be a little old fashion here, but i had some questions that were holding me back from getting Gallery and all the dozens of features that come with it. My problem is that I just want my gallery to display like this:

http://www.gratisnetwork.com/gallery.html

It doesn't matter if the links go to the large graphic with all the features, but I want it to display just as simple as that page?

1) Is it possible
2) Is it difficult to accomplish? Can I select what appears from the admin panel or must i hack my way in.
3) Whatever the answer is to #2, is this upgradable if a new version of Gallery comes in?

I'm looking to just display thumbnails in a large area of white space with no information. My next question is very simple, so I hope I dont over-complicate this:

4) Is it possible to show the user categories just as simple as they are shown here on the top of this Coppermine Gallery page:

http://gallery.ipodlounge.com/ipod/index.php

I'm JUST asking about the category section, if theres a feature to display random pictures (as I see Gallery does) thats ok... i just want to see how basic I can go with this fancy program.

Thank you for your valuable time.

KW802
February 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
Erik,

Have you checked out the live demo yet at http://www.vbadvanced.com/gallery? A default install will give a look closer to the ipodlounge link that you gave. You could accomplish mimicking the look of the gratisnetwork link you gave by stripping the templates to their bare bone minimum but, to be frank, that'd be a huge step backwards in functionality and vBa Gallery would be an overkill for that.

Erik
February 20th, 2005, 08:51 PM
that was what i suspected... all i want to show is a simple gallery of thumbnails that is compatible with vBadvanced, but i'd have to spend $60 to get such smooth functionality (although the extra specs are nice). I think the main concern i really have is not whether Gallery can to do, but if I want to spend the money to not get all the features.

Simplicity is key, and Gallery is nice, but not providing a maximum use of display as i want it to for users browsing.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply (that's what i love about this place).

KW802
February 20th, 2005, 09:03 PM
I think the main concern i really have is not whether Gallery can to do, but if I want to spend the money to not get all the features.Exactly! ;) In this case it'd be like buying a Ferrari at the price of a Mustang but stripping it to make it look like a Yugo.

You mention that you're looking for something "compatible" with CMPS.... What exactly are you trying to do with the images in regards to CMPS? Maybe from that answer we can find you the best solution (which hopefully will be Gallery :D ).

Erik
February 20th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Exactly! ;) In this case it'd be like buying a Ferrari at the price of a Mustang but stripping it to make it look like a Yugo.

Precisely.... the problem is I want my Yugo to have the power of the Ferrari, but have the ability to park it anywhere without worrying about it getting stolen (how do you like that analogy?).

What I want is something very clear cut and simple, but to have a full page of thumbnails (no information under it, unless when clicked on) and a small header of categories (so the thumbnails come in clear view). I'd like to have the page navigation where a user can click on the page of thumbnails, and all thumbnails are of all the galleries that I have selected for it to show (for instance, I'd like it to show all the thumbnails [in order of latest post] from all the user galleries only. I'd like it to be clean and easy for users to upload to.

That's about it. The reason I want it to be compatible with the CMPS is because of the variables that I'm passing through with the help of vbAdvanced (it's easier to pass them), not to mention that it easily integrates with everything. Basically, I'd like to use Gallery because it solves a lot of the logistical problems already.

BTW, thank you for your quick responses.

Erik
February 20th, 2005, 10:39 PM
... not to mention, i really like the concept of having code already made so i can have this rotate on my CMPS home page, and possibly linking it throughout my forumhome.

HEY, that brings up another question...

5) is it possible to have the categories for Gallery on the FORUMHOME and have everything I'm looking for in the post above? (this is probably answered somewhere, but it was on the top of my mind just now)

kyzen
March 9th, 2005, 10:12 AM
I love finding someone that thinks exactly like me :)
This is what I was looking for, a "vBa Gallery Lite" if you will ;)

I stumbled accross this gallery (linked below) the other day when I was asking about different portals on vbulletin.org. I was asking because I wanted a little bit more than vBa, NOT MUCH, don't get me wrong, I love it, there's just a few more things I wanted, they were:

1) Better content/page creation manager: as you know, having to create custom templates etc is a bit of a pain, I did find a solution HERE (http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4552), but am yet to test it.

2) A simple gallery, and by simple I mean something similar to THIS (http://www.mkportal.it/index.php?ind=gallery), don't get to interested in mkportal, it's big and free, but it's another "multiforum" portal not specifically written for VB. THIS (http://www.lanx.org.au/photos/lan69/lan69.php) is what I'm using at the moment, which is a page I made with a bit of custom javascript to display the image. Limitations with this are that users can't make comments, I have to manually make each page at the end of each event, you know, the usual, it's just a static page :)

The way I would like to do things is, at the end of an event when I'm hung over on monday morning, goto my gallery manager, click "Create New Category" then input the title etc, (i.e. LANX 14), then select the images (multi upload would be nice), then be able to arange their order and add comments that are displayed under them (i.e. like mine ;)), then click "MAKE LIVE!" oh yeah ;) Would be gold! Then the users can go, Oh yeah, I remember spewing on myself, thank god I didn't spew in my computer again, and click "MAKE COMMENT", then enter, "Deary me, I should have stopped at 2 bottle of gin..." and so forth :)

3) Hugs :)

So that's all I'm really looking for vBa + vBa Content Manager + vBa Simple Gallery = vBa GOLD Suite!!! (Wave's $100 around! I'll take one! ;))

KW802
March 9th, 2005, 10:31 AM
.... The way I would like to do things is, at the end of an event when I'm hung over on monday morning, goto my gallery manager, click "Create New Category" then input the title etc, (i.e. LANX 14), then select the images (multi upload would be nice), then be able to arange their order and add comments that are displayed under them (i.e. like mine ;)), then click "MAKE LIVE!" oh yeah ;) Would be gold! Then the users can go, Oh yeah, I remember spewing on myself, thank god I didn't spew in my computer again, and click "MAKE COMMENT", then enter, "Deary me, I should have stopped at 2 bottle of gin..." and so forth :) ....
If you took the vBa Gallery approach for the above example your steps then would be....

Monday morning upload all of the images on your server to a folder.
Go into your ACP (vBulletin Admin Control Panel) then choose vBa Gallery and click "Add Category".
Specify your new category name and category level options.
Go into your gallery and choose "Upload" from your local server.
You'll then see thumbnails of all of your images (you choose how many on a page to process at a time) and you can then enter comments for them. For example, if you uploaded 50 pictures and you choose to process them in batches of 10 then you'll see 10 thumbnails on your screen and you can then enter comments for the 10; when you done just save them and go to the next batch of 10. You can change how many images are processed in each batch.
Go back to bed to sleep off the weekend. ;)

kyzen
March 9th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Sounds lovely :) But like Erik and other said, vBaG seems like over kill, to get it like most of us want we have to strip the templates down to their panties to get the simplicity we are going for, please consider a vBaG lite :D

KW802
March 9th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Sounds lovely :) But like Erik and other said, vBaG seems like over kill, to get it like most of us want we have to strip the templates down to their panties to get the simplicity we are going for, please consider a vBaG lite :DI don't think two people count as "most of us" in this case. ;) For something like what you're trying to do you may be better off just modifying some of the "gallery" hacks over at vb.org to suit your needs. Personally for the page that you're currently using I'd integrate Gallery into CMPS and then create a dynamic navigation menu module for the left that creates a list of the Gallery categories; after that it'd just be a matter of changing the category index templates to not display any of the fields except the Description field. You can turn off the fields it displays in the "Browse Category Options" of the Gallery ACP settings but to achieve an even simpler look the templates may have to be modified.

Boosted MR-S
March 9th, 2005, 02:50 PM
VBAGallery is the best. I used Photopost, and never again will look back. Simple, easy, and Brian is the man with support.

kyzen
March 9th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I don't think two people count as "most of us" in this case. ;)

Hey dawg, don't hate on a brother! I never said "most of us", but I've been reading around, and there were a few mentions of people wanting something lighter. I had another look at the live demo and the admin demo of vBaG, it is quite sexual I agree, I'll purchase a licence and have a play on my new site. I think it should be ok :) Just remember the KISS philosophy.

ConqSoft
March 9th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Actually, you *did* say "most of us". He even quoted you. :eek: :D :p ;)

kyzen
March 9th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Oh, I said
most of us
I never said
"most of us"
;) See what I'm getting at? No, ok nvm :p

kyzen
May 14th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Ok dude, I went ahead and brough vBaG, it's awesome so far, I've made all the categories and am ready to upload billions of photos! Now, your instructions confuffled me a bit! I have folders here with images in them from the old way I did them, they are all neat and tidy! Could you walk me through uploading a folder of images, and adding them to a category as a batch! Cheers mate.

If you took the vBa Gallery approach for the above example your steps then would be....

Monday morning upload all of the images on your server to a folder.
Go into your ACP (vBulletin Admin Control Panel) then choose vBa Gallery and click "Add Category".
Specify your new category name and category level options.
Go into your gallery and choose "Upload" from your local server.
You'll then see thumbnails of all of your images (you choose how many on a page to process at a time) and you can then enter comments for them. For example, if you uploaded 50 pictures and you choose to process them in batches of 10 then you'll see 10 thumbnails on your screen and you can then enter comments for the 10; when you done just save them and go to the next batch of 10. You can change how many images are processed in each batch.
Go back to bed to sleep off the weekend. ;)

Brian
May 14th, 2005, 08:51 AM
1). Admin CP => vBa Gallery => Modify Settings - Make sure your FTP Path and FTP Folder options are set.
2). Create a new folder under that directory based on your userid (so if it's 83 just create a folder called 83).
3). Upload your images to that folder.
4). Go to your gallery and click on the 'Upload' link.
5). Set your options as you would like, make sure the 'Upload files directly from the server' box is checked, click 'Submit', and begin processing the images.