PDA

View Full Version : Optional download link

HappyPike
February 4th, 2005, 10:29 PM
Is it easy to add a custom field to each picture uploaded? I want to add a download link below each image for people to download the file.

For example:

[image here, modpack_preview.jpg]

Download Link: link to a modpack.zip file.

I will buy it when RC3 is release if this is possible! :) RC3 will be released this weekend, right?

KW802
February 4th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Is it easy to add a custom field to each picture uploaded? I want to add a download link below each image for people to download the file.

For example:

[image here, modpack_preview.jpg]

Download Link: link to a modpack.zip file.

I will buy it when RC3 is release if this is possible! :) RC3 will be released this weekend, right?Brian hasn't committed himself to a release date for RC3 yet but I'd be willing to bet on it being this weekend. ;)

You can add new custom fields that will be displayed & associated to each image; that's a feature currrently available in RC2. Note, though, that in order for the custom field to act as a link you'll need to use BB code tags. To clarify that, if you enter something like...http://www.coolscifi.com/hereismyfile.zip... it won't automatically be turned into a hot link. Instead you'll need to enter it as something like this...[url= http://www.coolscifi.com/hereismyfile.zip]HereIsMyFile.zip[ /url]

(Withouth the extra spaces, of course. :) )

HappyPike
February 4th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Good to hear it's possible. But it would be nice if we don't need to use the URL bbcode tag and just enter the download link though. Perhaps when you add a custom field, it should asks what type of field it is and can create the link automatically for URLs. Something like the Home Page field in vBulletin....

HappyPike
February 4th, 2005, 11:08 PM
One more question, when installing the gallery, is it necessary to backup the vB database?

ConqSoft
February 4th, 2005, 11:14 PM
One more question, when installing the gallery, is it necessary to backup the vB database?

You *should* always backup your database before installing any hack that uses it.

HappyPike
February 4th, 2005, 11:20 PM
You *should* always backup your database before installing any hack that uses it.
Better safe than sorry I guess. :)

Backing up my database takes like 30 minutes though. :( It's huge.

Anyway, I would realy appreciate it if URL fields are possible in RC3. If people have to use the BBCode to create link, lots of users probably will forget about it and just input the URL in the field. :(

Maybe the gallery can use the "Automatically parse links in text" option of vBulletin?

KW802
February 4th, 2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. :)

Good to hear it's possible. But it would be nice if we don't need to use the URL bbcode tag and just enter the download link though. Perhaps when you add a custom field, it should asks what type of field it is and can create the link automatically for URLs. Something like the Home Page field in vBulletin....I've already bugged Brian about it. How I came across the 'need-to-do-it-as-BB-code' thing was because I added a custom field to my gallery with the intent of using it as a link to the artists/creator/owner's contact information. I figured people could put a URL or email address in it and that it would automatically convert it to a link for me. I figured wrong on that one. :p If I remember correctly Brian said he might put an option in for it in the future but it's not a priority item. I'm sure that if Brian doesn't get to it then sooner or later there'll be a hack for it.

HappyPike
February 4th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I'm sure that if Brian doesn't get to it then sooner or later there'll be a hack for it.
No doubt about that. :)

The problem with not having a basic feature like the URL field in there by default though is you may need to re-do the URLs again when it's an official feature. This would take some time if you need to do it for a few hundred images...

Still hope Brian can add it in to RC3... It doesn't seem like a difficult thing to add. :)

KW802
February 4th, 2005, 11:49 PM
No doubt about that. :)

The problem with not having a basic feature like the URL field in there by default though is you may need to re-do the URLs again when it's an official feature. This would take some time if you need to do it for a few hundred images...

Still hopes Brian can add it in to RC3... It doesn't seem like a difficult thing to add. :)I doubt it'd be in RC3. RC3 is on the verge of being released so adding a new option at the last second wouldn't be a good thing.

And if you do it as a hack you wouldn't have to worry about how long it takes because the spot to do it would be on the output of the custom fields so that they are translated to hot links on the fly as they are displayed. It would just be a matter of remembering to reinstall the hack when the next version of Gallery is released.