PDA

View Full Version : Gallery ( plays audio, video + shows pics ? )

Deviant++
January 26th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Does this Gallery play audio files live, videos live + shows pics aswell ?

cause if it does, then it's a pretty nice thing :D

Brian
January 26th, 2005, 10:57 PM
It doesn't play the files in your browser (just allows you to download them), but will support any type of file.

Deviant++
January 26th, 2005, 11:05 PM
aw damn, then I guess I'd probably put the vids n audi on the jukebox huh ? :)

indie
January 27th, 2005, 12:02 AM
Won't it play video clips if you set the mime correctly? Thanks

Brian
January 27th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Not in the browser.

stitch
January 31st, 2005, 05:53 PM
I think I can come up with the hack, but I don't think I can release it ...because:

1) I don't own this gallery yet. It is still in RC. I am waiting for it to pass the RC before I buy it.

2) Even if I want to release it, I don't have permission in the hack / mod forum

rbl
January 31st, 2005, 06:26 PM
This is not a big deal IMO. Some file types need to be embedded in the page so that you can play them in your browser. As soon as Brian, or anyone else that digs into it, finds a way to check the file type, then the proper tags can be used and Gallery will even make your toasts and morning coffee ... sort of =)

KW802
January 31st, 2005, 06:47 PM
This is not a big deal IMO. Some file types need to be embedded in the page so that you can play them in your browser. As soon as Brian, or anyone else that digs into it, finds a way to check the file type, then the proper tags can be used and Gallery will even make your toasts and morning coffee ... sort of =)I'm already working on it. ;) My "auto play SWF files (http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4754)" hack was sort of a proof-of-concept for me so that I could guage the work involved. The fruits of that hack revealed to me that audio files, like MP3 files wouldn't be bad but doing video correctly would take a little more effort. For example, the standard PHP getimagesize command does not recognize video files so what dimensions would a person use when auto-playing them? The quick & dirty answer is to choose some arbitrary size and go with that but I don't like that answer -- I don't like hard-coding and I don't like watching videos in the wrong perspective. What I'm trying to do instead is to get a 3rd party script integrated into the ../gallery/upload.php script that does recognize video clips and then store those dimensions in the db; that way when the video clip is displayed I can use the same auto-sizing logic that I did with the SWF files.

Right now I've got a lot on my plate, so to speak, so I'm waiting for RC3 before go full steam into it.

rbl
January 31st, 2005, 07:01 PM
Just thinking out loud Kevin, but what about checking image extension and if it matches the list of video formats, display a link that pops-up a window where a custom video script plays it?

KW802
February 1st, 2005, 01:50 AM
Just thinking out loud Kevin, but what about checking image extension and if it matches the list of video formats, display a link that pops-up a window where a custom video script plays it?That would work as well. It would eliminate the challenge of getting the inline video clip sized within a certain dimensions. Without thinking about it too much the advantage to that method would be that it could be self-contained to the template eliminating the need to modify any of the PHP files. The disadvantage would be that some pop-up blockers may block the second window.

I like the look of clips being played inline so that I am heading in that direction for now (plus I've got a few others ideas floating around in my head) so Plan A will be inline but if speed bumps are encountered the javascript method will be Plan B. :D

rbl
February 1st, 2005, 08:50 AM
Here's another suggestion: think about creating a new imagebit template (videobit?!) for video.
Then an if conditional could be added to showimage.php, that will load imagebit for images and videobit for videos. This way imagebit will not be a long list of if then elses and this can also be done for other "problematic" formats.