PDA

View Full Version : video clips, php, and MB

indie
January 22nd, 2005, 06:18 AM
Gallery question:

I need a solution for a video gallery, where members can upload video clips and trailers, etc.

My host has the PHP upload limit set a 2mb, but I need my members to be able to upload larger files, ie: some video clips are 10, or even 30 mb.

My host says PHP has trouble once you try to upload more than 2mb. There limit is 2 anyway.

Is there a way I can bypass uploading via PHP? I don't know if this makes sense, but can the way they members upload be on an html page or something, to avoid the PHP 2mb limit?

I hope the gallery can do what I need.

Thanks!

ConqSoft
January 22nd, 2005, 06:50 AM
I have my limit set to 8meg, and it works fine. You can go quite a bit higher and it still works fine too.

But, since your host won't change it, you can use the FTP option that Gallery offers. Check out the installation Readme file for info on how to set up the folders to allow certain users to use FTP to send larger files.

indie
January 22nd, 2005, 07:22 AM
I have my limit set to 8meg, and it works fine. You can go quite a bit higher and it still works fine too.

But, since your host won't change it, you can use the FTP option that Gallery offers. Check out the installation Readme file for into on how to set up the folders to allow certain users to use FTP to send larger files.

Thanks!

Brian, is it possible I can look at the readme before purchasing? I'd like to see if this is going to be what I need. Thanks

ConqSoft
January 22nd, 2005, 07:28 AM
Basically, you have to create a directory for each user that you want to have access to FTP uploads, then create an FTP Account for those users pointing to their respective directories. Your host will have to allow you to create additional FTP accounts for this option to work for you.

indie
January 22nd, 2005, 07:40 AM
And after you set it up with ftp and folders per user, it is all still intergrated with vb? They can upload their files to all the different categories, etc.

Do you know if the readme if available on the site? I'd like to look. Thanks

ConqSoft
January 22nd, 2005, 07:42 AM
They FTP their files up, then they go to the Gallery Upload screen, where you can choose to process the files you have FTP'd. Then you'll be able to enter a title, description, and choose a category for each one.

indie
January 22nd, 2005, 07:59 AM
Do you know if the quotas still apply? Or will they be able to bypass quotas set in the gallery limits. Thanks again.

ConqSoft
January 22nd, 2005, 08:23 AM
I would think that they do, and if they don't, they should, and I'm sure it would be corrected by Brian. I haven't tested that part, so someone else will have to reply...

Brian
January 22nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Here's the relevant part of the readme file regarding FTP uploads:
FTP & Bulk Uploads:
If you plan to allow some of your users to upload files via FTP, you will first need to make sure that your 'FTP User Folder Path' setting (listed under the 'Modify Settings' link under your 'vBa Gallery' options in your Admin CP) is set to the full path to your '/gallery/users' folder.
You will then need to create a new folder under your '/gallery/users' directory and name it according to that user's userid (so if the user's userid was 5, you would simple create a new folder called 5 under your '/gallery/users' directory.
Lastly, you will need to create a new FTP account on your server for that user and make sure they have access to the newly created folder to upload their files to.

And yes, the quotas you add for files will still apply to those uploaded via FTP.

ConqSoft
January 22nd, 2005, 09:16 AM
Brian,

Just a thought, does Gallery have a cron job, or any other check, to clean up the FTP folders at any time? I could see someone uploading lots of huge files, then never going to the Gallery to process them, and they'd be out there using up space...

Because of course, Gallery quotas are only enforced when they process the files. They can FTP up anything they want (depending on any FTP quotas you may set, of course).