PDA

View Full Version : Are pics stored in database filesystem ?

mindbuster
January 5th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Are pics stored in the database or filesystem ?

Also, why $59.99 ? why not just $60 :confused:

robert_2004
January 5th, 2005, 02:18 AM
pics are stored in the filesystem, so are thumbnails.

because $59 looks to be $10 cheaper that $60, because people go by the first number - it's just simple/smart retail selling. i can't be wrecked explaining.

mindbuster
January 5th, 2005, 09:18 AM
because $59 looks to be $10 cheaper that $60, because people go by the first number - it's just simple/smart retail selling. i can't be wrecked explaining.

Well, maybe for some, but others round up when they go shopping, going to the supermarket and stuffing the cart with things costing xx.99 they round up, ending up with a number that is higher than they actually pay, making it seem like it was a good deal, so either way, yes, it's a sale trick, but intended for people buying lots of stuff, not just one item like here, it's a sale trick for "common" people.

Thats why i wondered why the price is 59.99, why trying using cheap sales trick against computer nerds ? just doesnt work, Jelsoft and other computer software companies knows that, so why not vBadvanced ;)

Brian
January 5th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Yes, the images are stored as files. Simply put, storing images like that in the database is a bad idea.
And as for the price, it's simple economics and business. Why is everything in a store $9.99 or $14.99? ;)

mindbuster
January 5th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Yes, the images are stored as files. Simply put, storing images like that in the database is a bad idea.

Cool, i would prefer in filesystem too, sounds good :)

Ranma
January 7th, 2005, 04:45 PM
simple beacuse of tax
if it enters the 60 $ range the tax will increase for it ^_^

Zachery
January 7th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Not really tax is applied on the whole

Its not X ammount of the first number it sX ammount of the whole number

59.99 and 60.00 are praticly the same

coffee2k3
January 9th, 2005, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE=robert_2004]pics are stored in the filesystem, so are thumbnails.
QUOTE]

Sorry for the n00b question, but:

Is it possible to store these files on another server (not the forums host)?

Brian
January 9th, 2005, 11:03 AM
No, they would have to be on the same server.

coffee2k3
February 21st, 2005, 05:52 AM
1. Sorry for digging up this thread.

2. I know I asked the same question before, but: Is it technically impossible to store the gallery files / videos etc on a different server?

If it's impossible then please just slap me for asking again...

If it's possible then would it require a hack / modification that you could possibly help me with? I am really interested in this gallery and gonna buy it either way :)

rbl
February 21st, 2005, 06:04 AM
What's the problem of being in the same server?

Brian
February 21st, 2005, 10:28 AM
It's possible to store them on a separate server, but would require some work and you'd have to know what you're doing.