PDA

View Full Version : Misc questions

StewardManscat
December 11th, 2004, 01:39 PM
Looking good.

1. When I rate a photo, I do not see my rating. We have 10-50 guys rating photos and you can see who liked it and who didn't. They frequently do not write anything (photopost just displays their info and rating).

2. Are the files identified by userid? Photopost prefixes the file name with a userid, which is absolutely useless when the filename begins with digits. There is no way to perform intelligent data recovery with integrity (rebuild table from dir/files). Has that been addressed? What other integrity checks are built in?

3. There is an awful lot of text! Adult sites are in this for the pictures. Here is my "must have": Once a member's gallery has been located and a picture displayed full size, photopost has a rolling strip of thumbnails across the bottom. You can page through the pictures without leaving this screen, skipping ahead by a few pics if the thumbnails don't grab you. As opposed to "going up (back) a level" to continue browsing the same member. Is this already in but some kind of option? It's a show stopper for me. I will buy on the promise it's coming.

4. Can this be run in parallel with an existing installation? Ie can I try it out and take the time to fiddle with the temples -using live data- yet still let the existing vb/photopost cook along until a final conversion? Looking for table/directory or admin conflicts that might arise. Would prefer this to setting up a completely separate test area. Get the community involved in what it looks like.

5. How are the post counts handled? The system differentiates between a picture post and a forum post?

Many thanks for your time.

Brian
December 12th, 2004, 12:35 AM
1. When I rate a photo, I do not see my rating. We have 10-50 guys rating photos and you can see who liked it and who didn't. They frequently do not write anything (photopost just displays their info and rating).
Are you saying that you're not seeing the ratings on the demo version here? I just checked and they seem to be appearing fine...

2. Are the files identified by userid? Photopost prefixes the file name with a userid, which is absolutely useless when the filename begins with digits. There is no way to perform intelligent data recovery with integrity (rebuild table from dir/files). Has that been addressed? What other integrity checks are built in?
The folder that the images are stored in is determined by the userid, but that is the only thing. There's currently not a way to rebuild your database by the files alone, but if you just back-up your vBulletin database along with the files occasionally then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

3. There is an awful lot of text! Adult sites are in this for the pictures. Here is my "must have": Once a member's gallery has been located and a picture displayed full size, photopost has a rolling strip of thumbnails across the bottom. You can page through the pictures without leaving this screen, skipping ahead by a few pics if the thumbnails don't grab you. As opposed to "going up (back) a level" to continue browsing the same member. Is this already in but some kind of option? It's a show stopper for me. I will buy on the promise it's coming.
Currently something like this is not an option. An option for it may be added in a future release, but I can't make any promises as to when that will be.

4. Can this be run in parallel with an existing installation? Ie can I try it out and take the time to fiddle with the temples -using live data- yet still let the existing vb/photopost cook along until a final conversion? Looking for table/directory or admin conflicts that might arise. Would prefer this to setting up a completely separate test area. Get the community involved in what it looks like.
Yes, it can be set up without affecting PhotoPost in any way and your members would not know it was there unless you gave them a link.

5. How are the post counts handled? The system differentiates between a picture post and a forum post?
Sorry, but I'm not following you on this one. Could you elaborate a little please?

StewardManscat
December 12th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Ratings I still do not see in your demo area. I see one rating for the pic, but not the individual ratings. Screen print of my system attached with individual ratings circled.

Oh. No attachment prompt here. But I guess that's would be a painless fix using templates, assuming the rating is stored with the comment.

Post counts: for reputation evaluation. A guy posts 26 pictures and 10 forum entries, I don't want to see a post count of 36, I need the breakdown. Again, that's a hack I can probably manage myself.

but if you just back-up your vBulletin database along with the files occasionally then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Hubris. You don't know how far or in what direction anyone will hack. Nor can you forsee all circumstances in the real world. You are forgiven of course. But this is one reason I want out of photopost. If you are storing in a directory per userid that is a fine solution. All that matters is that photo files are physically identified by user. Just my two cents thanks.

Rolling thumbnails for picture cruising: my guys love it. Far less clicking, and introduces photos you might not normallly ferret out. Damn, I don't want to code that. It's sometimes hard for us techies to remember, users are in this for the photos: everything else is crappola.

Keep the faith.

Brian
December 12th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Ratings I still do not see in your demo area. I see one rating for the pic, but not the individual ratings. Screen print of my system attached with individual ratings circled.

Oh. No attachment prompt here. But I guess that's would be a painless fix using templates, assuming the rating is stored with the comment.
Sorry, I didn't understand that you were talking about each individual rating by each user. The ratings with vBa Gallery are not stored with the comments as they are with PhotoPost. They are stored in a separate table that stores the userid, imageid, rating, and IP address. Personally I think storing them in the comments table is not exactly the best way to do it. By doing that you're adding more entries to that table and causing it to have to scan more data than necessary. With the ratings being stored in their own table it shouldn't be too hard to select the ones from a particular image and print out the information.

Post counts: for reputation evaluation. A guy posts 26 pictures and 10 forum entries, I don't want to see a post count of 36, I need the breakdown. Again, that's a hack I can probably manage myself.
It doesn't currently add to the user's post count when they submit an image. It wouldn't be hard to add that feature though (as I'm assuming from your posts that you know a little about what you're doing ;)).

Hubris. You don't know how far or in what direction anyone will hack. Nor can you forsee all circumstances in the real world. You are forgiven of course. But this is one reason I want out of photopost. If you are storing in a directory per userid that is a fine solution. All that matters is that photo files are physically identified by user. Just my two cents thanks.
Hmm... Still not much I can think of that you could do where a quick backup of your /gallery/files folder and the database wouldn't cover everything, but I'm suppose there could be some cases where it was hacked to an extent that it would require a little more than that. Either way, it still shouldn't be too hard to create backups of anything additional you might add. And just to expand a little on exactly the way files are stored, it's basically the same as vBulletin's attachment system, as in if you're user id is 583 then your files would be stored in /gallery/files/5/8/3 (just wanted to make sure that was completely clear and you knew exactly how they were stored).

Rolling thumbnails for picture cruising: my guys love it. Far less clicking, and introduces photos you might not normallly ferret out. Damn, I don't want to code that. It's sometimes hard for us techies to remember, users are in this for the photos: everything else is crappola.
I do have it in the back of my mind to add this feature, but of course I had to quit adding new stuff at some point and just get the thing out the door. I'm sure it will make it's way into the script at some point, I just don't want to make any promises as to when. If you do know a little about PHP and such though it probably wouldn't be hard to add this in yourself. There's some code that is used to determine what image should be displayed when the next/previous links on the showimage page are clicked that I'm sure would make for a nice "guide" to do this. ;)

StewardManscat
March 7th, 2005, 12:44 PM
With the ratings being stored in their own table it shouldn't be too hard to select the ones from a particular image and print out the information.

I'm lost on this. My first try is in this thread (http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4227&highlight=rating). It's a join on posts and ratings. Leaves out the guys who rated but did not comment.

I wonder, what is best for me to do here?

1. Can this query be salvaged? Should I get the ratings from guys that don't have a post entry, and phoney up the rest of the postbit data... Not sure how those queries would work together...?

2. Should I remove the rating link and force guys to rate via comments (also removing the minimum comment requirement)? There goes your table optomization!!

3. Should I throw away the rating table and stash the rating in the comment, also forcing comment entry...?

To reiterate. Most members rate, but do not comment. We want to see who rated, and what they rated, whether they commented or not. EG

Fred 4 start "I liked this"
Joe 1 star
Pete 1 star
Helga 5 star "This is my comment"

...we see Joe and Pete gave it low ratings and no comments.

Just looking for some guidance here. Which solution, do you suppose, will hurt me less in the long run. Or am I missing something else?

"Changing votes is not allowed" ?? You mean "Sorry, we have not yet gone to the hassle of coding this" :) Because change their mind is what people do. Not to mention making mistakes. I'd like to be able to change my vote any time. RC876 perhaps...

Hope this makes sense. Many thanks in advance for a considered reply.

Keep the faith.

Brian
March 7th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I assume it wouldn't work just to display the rating info and such in a separate place, would it? Seems like that may be the easiest solution if that was an option. Assuming that's not, the next best might be to remove the rating link and action from your newreply.php file and just make your users reply to images in order to rate them. That would require the least amount of initial work, as well as the amount of work needed when upgrading to a new version.

"Changing votes is not allowed" ?? You mean "Sorry, we have not yet gone to the hassle of coding this" :) Because change their mind is what people do. Not to mention making mistakes. I'd like to be able to change my vote any time. RC876 perhaps...
That should go by your setting on whether you allow your users to change votes on threads, so it would be more of a case of us not going through the hassle of giving it it's own option yet. ;)

StewardManscat
March 7th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Timely, informative, and helpful response. Thank you.