View Full Version : Misc questions

December 11th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Looking good.

1. When I rate a photo, I do not see my rating. We have 10-50 guys rating photos and you can see who liked it and who didn't. They frequently do not write anything (photopost just displays their info and rating).

2. Are the files identified by userid? Photopost prefixes the file name with a userid, which is absolutely useless when the filename begins with digits. There is no way to perform intelligent data recovery with integrity (rebuild table from dir/files). Has that been addressed? What other integrity checks are built in?

3. There is an awful lot of text! Adult sites are in this for the pictures. Here is my "must have": Once a member's gallery has been located and a picture displayed full size, photopost has a rolling strip of thumbnails across the bottom. You can page through the pictures without leaving this screen, skipping ahead by a few pics if the thumbnails don't grab you. As opposed to "going up (back) a level" to continue browsing the same member. Is this already in but some kind of option? It's a show stopper for me. I will buy on the promise it's coming.

4. Can this be run in parallel with an existing installation? Ie can I try it out and take the time to fiddle with the temples -using live data- yet still let the existing vb/photopost cook along until a final conversion? Looking for table/directory or admin conflicts that might arise. Would prefer this to setting up a completely separate test area. Get the community involved in what it looks like.

5. How are the post counts handled? The system differentiates between a picture post and a forum post?

Many thanks for your time.

December 12th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Thank you for the prompt reply.

Ratings I still do not see in your demo area. I see one rating for the pic, but not the individual ratings. Screen print of my system attached with individual ratings circled.

Oh. No attachment prompt here. But I guess that's would be a painless fix using templates, assuming the rating is stored with the comment.

Post counts: for reputation evaluation. A guy posts 26 pictures and 10 forum entries, I don't want to see a post count of 36, I need the breakdown. Again, that's a hack I can probably manage myself.

but if you just back-up your vBulletin database along with the files occasionally then you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Hubris. You don't know how far or in what direction anyone will hack. Nor can you forsee all circumstances in the real world. You are forgiven of course. But this is one reason I want out of photopost. If you are storing in a directory per userid that is a fine solution. All that matters is that photo files are physically identified by user. Just my two cents thanks.

Rolling thumbnails for picture cruising: my guys love it. Far less clicking, and introduces photos you might not normallly ferret out. Damn, I don't want to code that. It's sometimes hard for us techies to remember, users are in this for the photos: everything else is crappola.

Keep the faith.

March 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM
With the ratings being stored in their own table it shouldn't be too hard to select the ones from a particular image and print out the information.

I'm lost on this. My first try is in this thread (http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4227&highlight=rating). It's a join on posts and ratings. Leaves out the guys who rated but did not comment.

I wonder, what is best for me to do here?

1. Can this query be salvaged? Should I get the ratings from guys that don't have a post entry, and phoney up the rest of the postbit data... Not sure how those queries would work together...?

2. Should I remove the rating link and force guys to rate via comments (also removing the minimum comment requirement)? There goes your table optomization!!

3. Should I throw away the rating table and stash the rating in the comment, also forcing comment entry...?

To reiterate. Most members rate, but do not comment. We want to see who rated, and what they rated, whether they commented or not. EG

Fred 4 start "I liked this"
Joe 1 star
Pete 1 star
Helga 5 star "This is my comment"

...we see Joe and Pete gave it low ratings and no comments.

Just looking for some guidance here. Which solution, do you suppose, will hurt me less in the long run. Or am I missing something else?

"Changing votes is not allowed" ?? You mean "Sorry, we have not yet gone to the hassle of coding this" :) Because change their mind is what people do. Not to mention making mistakes. I'd like to be able to change my vote any time. RC876 perhaps...

Hope this makes sense. Many thanks in advance for a considered reply.

Keep the faith.

March 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Timely, informative, and helpful response. Thank you.