PDA

View Full Version : What forum is the best to run with PhotoPost?

gardar
November 7th, 2005, 04:44 PM
What forum and web-system (portal) is best to use with photopost? Some forum which fits very well to photopost and can be highly customized/modified with photopost?

edit: what modifictions are available for photopost, are there any?

edit2: is it possible to let each user have their own personal gallery with a nice url like www.someting.com/user or by subdomain, user.something.com ?

SaN-DeeP
November 7th, 2005, 06:37 PM
PhotoPost supports many popular forum software scripts: including Vbulletin, Invision PowerBoard, UBB Threads and others.

Check this page for all the extensive features:
http://www.photopost.com/featuresphp.html

There are couple of excellent modifications available for photopost (currently only accessible by licensced photopost owners (private forum)

Michael P
November 7th, 2005, 07:49 PM
Our most popular forum integration if vBulletin (and most extensive); but there are many alternatives. We have many mods in our Mod forums (private forum for license holders).

We do have a subdomain mod, but it requires usernames that are URL compatible (spaces and special characters do not translate into URLs).

gardar
November 8th, 2005, 03:57 AM
oh, great! Could you give me some example of modifictions that are available for the licensed users?

Has anyone tried using vBadvanced CMPS with photopost? http://www.vbadvanced.com/

Is there any modifiction for photopost to have a wap or pda version or theme?

Also, isn't it right that if I buy photopost, I will get free updates for life? (or am I misunderstanding something?)

Michael P
November 8th, 2005, 09:11 AM
We support RSS feeds, Mobile Phone uploads, WiFi processing scripts. There are many others for putting categories/photos on your index pages, etc.

I believe many customers have integrated with vBa's CMPS and there are mods for integration over on their site.

There is no mod that I am aware of which offers a WAP or PDA version of the gallery.

You get free updates for one year and additional years are a nominal fee.

gardar
November 8th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Oh, great!

I think photopost is what is going to be my choise.

Just some final questions (I think).

Is there an icelandic translation of photopost, or would it be easy to translate?

I currently am using a phpBB module named Photo Album Addon 2.0.51 by smartor: http://smartor.is-root.com/ Is there a possible way to transfer the pictures and comments on the pictures from it to photopost? (without needing to do it all manually)

Can I have fileds that users are required to write in? like year, place, etc.

And is it possible to have the galleries like this: for example I have categories "indoor" and "outdoor" there are the users supposed to upload all their pictures. Could I have the filed "city" where users write in what city the picture was taken in. Then in some place it would be possible to click the city name and then all the other pictures which were taken in that city would appear?
I don't want to make categories with all the cities, so if it is any way to do it like this?
Note, this is only an example, I am not going to use "city" in my real album.
Hopefully you understand what I mean, my english isn't so great and Im trying to tell this in as few words as possible....

gardar
November 11th, 2005, 06:11 AM
I found out by reading the forum that there is no icelandic version out. And I could make it my own. Did I understand it right that I get a free licence if I translate photopost?

And please reply my questions in my previous post, I need to know this before buying photopost....

Michael P
November 11th, 2005, 12:58 PM
We dont have an importer for Photo Album Addon, sorry. One would have to be written if you wanted to do it, or you could hire one of our staff to do it for you.

You can have additional fields, sure; but they aren't "required".

Yes, you can create categories and then have people upload images and tag their images with titles. Although "tagging" images would have more to do with keywords, so as long as the names were in the title and they were automatically added to the keyword list, then the similiar photos could be found.

I would have to check on the license for icelandic - we do offer a free license for translations in demand, so will get back with you.

gardar
November 13th, 2005, 02:54 PM
ok, would I need to buy photopost first before I translate? Or could I translate and then get photopost free? If so, where could I get the files to translate?

Chuck S
November 13th, 2005, 03:53 PM
The usual offer for language translations is a free year members access tacked onto the license. They only did free licenses to a few user's who submitted highly sought after language translations.

Michael said he would get back to you on whether the license would be free or not since we only offer free licenses to on demand languages.

gardar
November 13th, 2005, 06:48 PM
yes, ok.
I have translated software for some companies and also for personal use, so im not completely new to translations.

btw. when can we except the administration demo will be up?

gardar
January 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
We dont have an importer for Photo Album Addon, sorry. One would have to be written if you wanted to do it, or you could hire one of our staff to do it for you.

would it be hard work to make an importer for Photo Album Addon?

And how much would it cost to let any of your staff to make a importer?

ToyotaDiesel
February 1st, 2006, 02:28 PM
No reply since jan 2nd. Guess I better not hold my breath on the smartor import script...

Chuck S
February 1st, 2006, 03:08 PM
Hello at this time we are not making anymore import scripts at present other than what we have. We do accept custom work and while one user was interested he did not want to pay for the time invested in creating the script so no further talk was done since he just wanted us to create one so he would buy our product. We have custom importers written for the two common commercial applications that user's have that are our competitors.

We never had one for Smartor since it is a hack and not a commercial program that is a competitor.

ToyotaDiesel
February 2nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Understandable. Thanks.