PDA

View Full Version : Trying out a calendar sidebar

Michael P
September 23rd, 2005, 11:04 AM
I'm working with an idea for a calender sidebar that indicates how many photos were uploaded on a given day during the month (hover over a date and it'll tell you how many photos were added), clicking on a date brings up those images which were uploaded on that day.

http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/index.php

The script for this uses one additional query.

Good feature? Bad feature?

Michael P
September 23rd, 2005, 11:06 PM
By the way, ViperAlley is also running all new caching code. Page generation times have decreased significantly (with everything turned on except Popular photos and logged in as Admin):

With over 800 users online my vBulletin and Threads forums:

Without cached info: Page generated in 0.84508 seconds with 23 queries
With cached info: Page generated in 0.05941 seconds with 11 queries

Basically the feature photo boxes and statistics (and calender info) are all cached and updated every 10 minutes. Using the cached info, page loads are much improved.

CaddisNJF
September 24th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Hmmmmm.... Speaking on behalf of my fly fishing community, the majority of this type of user is either clueless or uninterested in this type of stuff. Anyhow, speaking for myself, I think it's a nice addon and I would actually use something like this.

How bout something like this... Thumbnails for dates of interest? One of the issues with my site is that although the calendar is on the front page (mini calendar), the users don't know they can click on any of the dates with the underline under them. Now if there was even a tiny photo by each date that actually contained information, they might be more inclined to click.

Michael P
September 24th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I think the calendar would have to be much bigger to hold any kind of image which could actually be seen - probably not a sidebar item. If the calendar view could be larger we might be able to.

scrapster
November 18th, 2005, 01:00 PM
kinda late, but my users love this feature! if they miss last thursday (cause no one wants to miss any uploads!) they can go check it out. thanks!!!

aem
November 28th, 2005, 07:41 PM
I'm seeing the calender on many sites, and was wondering how i would have it on mine?

Is it a hack (if so, where to get/install) or is it integrated into a new version of pp?

Chuck S
November 28th, 2005, 08:20 PM
It is in the new version of PP

aem
November 28th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Is there a script to upgrade to that version or..?

Chuck S
November 28th, 2005, 09:02 PM
well upgrade instructions are included. You would more than likely upload all the files except config files and run upgrade.php and select all the upgrades that apply from your version forward