PDA

View Full Version : Number of Views

magni
August 22nd, 2005, 10:24 PM
We've only been running PhotoPost fpr a couple of weeks now, but the number of views we have (>120,000) seems unrealistically high. Is there potentially a security vulnerability? Or could this be a flaw in the counter?

Thanks!

M

Chuck S
August 23rd, 2005, 08:40 AM
I would not think so. That number is not high depending on site traffic etc. Remember if you have unregistered users able to view images then this means every bot every person anyone that comes to your site and views a photo thats one view. If someone hits a screen refresh thats a second view

There are many factors here.

magni
August 26th, 2005, 06:07 PM
We're now at 200,000 views. We only have 50 users. This is obviously erroneous, and even if it is being pinged by spiders etc. the number is not reflective of the actual views?

Is there a file I could go into to strip out the views feature?

Thanks
Magni

Chuck S
August 26th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Well if you think it is spiders simply make unregistered people unable to view the pictures.

The only way to strip the views is to 0 the counts in phpmyadmin

Michael P
August 27th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Do you mean set the views to 0 or not display the number of views?

magni
August 28th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Well if its so inaccurate, I would rather that we just strip the views right out of there.. That way we only have to do it once..

Thanks!

Michael P
August 29th, 2005, 07:37 AM
It's not that it's inaccurate, it is simply recording the number of times the image has been viewed. The view incrementor can only increase when the photo is requested by the showphoto.php script; as such, your number is reflective of the number of times the image has been requested/viewed.

You can turn off the display of views in the Admin Options -> Show Photo Options - Display Views? set to NO.