PDA

View Full Version : Question about image compression within photopost

Johnny Doomo
July 19th, 2005, 03:08 PM
OK I am trying to better understand how the setting in the "Upload Photo Options" works. This would be the "Quality setting for resizing/thumbnails?" setting.

I see that it is compressing the thumbnails and medium size images. It appears that it doesn't touch the fullsized images unless it has to resize them I take it. I think I remember being told this by omegatron too.

My question is, if my medium image size limit is 640x480 and somebody uploads an image that is 640x480 does this mean that Photopost will only use my high compression level on the thumbnail, but won't even touch the 640x480 image?

I just want to make sure that there is always at least the very largest version of the image not being touched so those that want it, have the ability to grab it.

It would be nice if there was a quality compression for both thumbnails and medium images though. (hint hint)

While I ahve you here... does 5.13 support .psd files yet? I am hoping for something that flattens psd layers, but would somehow allow the downloading of the original psd file as well. While I know downloading the original psd file is unlikely included right now, does photopost at least flatten the layers of a psd file and display it, and if so, what does it do about transparencies against no background?

Chuck S
July 22nd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Hello psd files are not modifable by any program other than a graphics program not imagemagick or gd to my recollection.

You can surely allow them for download by placing psd as an allowable multimedia type

Compression is handled by the quality setting on images. Yes if your large is not over the max image stats then it is not touched. Mediums would be made only if the large image is greater than the medium setting. Mediums and thumbs are compressed at the setting you specify so 90 would be little compression but great quality and 70 is about the norm most people use as anything less and you sacrifice quality for the sake of compressions.