View Full Version : Question for Michael about Builds

WB
June 30th, 2005, 02:21 PM
Michael:

From another thread (locked so I can't post in it):

__

S Lidard

clarification
To clarify this... you're saying that files within a released version can be updated without incrementing the version number? For example, the current version is 5.12 and one or more files in that version may have been updated since its original release?

Michael P
PhotoPost Developer

Yes, that is what I am saying.

__

Additional questions about the intra-build changes (using 6/27/05 3:21 PM Build as an example).

For example, we downloaded and installed yesterday and the files had a timestamp of 8:10 AM. Later that day the timestamp changed and it changed when we checked this AM so obviously the current build is getting updated frequently.

Is it correct to assume that any intra-build updates don't patch any new security holes? We aren't having any issues at the moment with the intrabuild we are using but just wanted to make sure that any changes that further impact security would have different version numbers. From what I've seen in the past that is the case but just wanted to make sure in light of the changing intrabuilds. So basically, any downloaded build of 5.12 since it was first released doesn't have any known security holes, correct? And any subsequent security issues that are found will increment the build number so folks will know that it is a needed upgrade, correct?

Thanks.

Michael P
June 30th, 2005, 02:55 PM
That is correct; the changes are typically minor in nature (usually involving typecast variables). When we post a security update we will change the version number and post information about the changes. 5.11 did have some security code in place that we were testing and we wrote about it in the update post we made about the version - users of 5.11 already have most of the new security code in place, but 5.12 added some additional checks.

WB
June 30th, 2005, 02:58 PM
Great, thanks for confirming.