PDA

View Full Version : Postnuke Integration

GMGGG
April 5th, 2005, 02:27 PM
I see the site says PhotoPost can integrate with postnuke. Can someone please explain more details.

The following post says.
We do have PostNuke users and we support PostNuke at the user level.
http://www.photopost.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111855&highlight=postnuke

I need to integrate users and groups with postnuke. Also be able to have comment notifications emailed.

Also, is there a guarantee, eval license, or try-before-you-buy program?

Do I need an extra license for my development server? No users can hit this and it is only for development so I do not have to mess with a live server.

Thank you.
-G

Chuck S
April 5th, 2005, 04:28 PM
We integrate with postnuke on the user and usergroup level.

We do not run as a module though.

GMGGG
April 5th, 2005, 05:38 PM
OK, that is fine. How about a devlopment license. If I buy and install it on the dev server and then copy it to production will it work and be legit or do I need to buy a copy for both servers.

FYI, both servers are configured identical. They both use the same virtual host information. The only thing different is the IP.

Michael P
April 5th, 2005, 07:07 PM
As long as the development system isn't being used in a production environment (i.e. users are not accessing it), then there isn't a problem.

GMGGG
April 5th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks, I am ordering now.

Axe
September 28th, 2005, 10:42 AM
We do not run as a module though.
On one of the sites listed as a demo of PostNuke/PhotoPost integration, Photopost is shown as a module integrated with PostNuke.

http://www.mikesjourneys.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Photopost&file=index

Is this something you now offer?

Chuck S
September 28th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Hello no that I beleive is a hack that a user posted at postnuke site or did for that user.

Axe
September 28th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Okies, no plans to do anything like that officially?

Chuck S
September 28th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Well if we could do it without having to release a whole separate version of the software sure we would look into it. I think the issue with this hack the user did is the user actually went through the entire program and rewrote every single link which is a nightmare.

Axe
September 28th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Okies, well, I'm going to buy a copy of the latest PhotoPost soon to integrate with one of my phpBB based sites, so I'll have a play with it off-line (local LAN Linux server) to see what I can do to make it PostNuke-happy without it being too big of an irreversible deal :)

Axe
September 28th, 2005, 03:04 PM
After having a look at his genURL() function, I don't see how it would require a separate version of the software.

Yes, he rewrote the URLs (kinda). He rewrote them to go through that function. That function looks to see if $Globals['vbversion'] is "postnuke", and if it is, send back a module URL, if it isn't, send back the URL as normal.

Once that's done, it doesn't need to be done again in future versions, and with that function in place, it'll still work as a normal standalone.

phpBB2 is setup in a similar fashion, whereby all links are sent through the append_sid() function. PNphpBB2 exploits this function for the same purpose Mike does in his genURL() function.

All of his other mods check to see if it's running inside PostNuke, and if it is, do the magic, if it isn't, then carry on as normal.

It'd take a while, sure, but like I said, it only needs to be done once, and wouldn't affect PhotoPost's standalonability.

The only other quick(er)-method would be simply caching the output buffer in a variable (ob_start(), ob_get_contents(), ob_end_clean()) and using a function to parse that variable searching & replacing PhotoPost URLs for the PostNuke module equivalents, and a couple of checks to include PostNuke's header & footer if it's running as a PostNuke module.

That would be much quicker to implement, the problem is, if the PostNuke site is running some mod_rewrite work for "Search Engine Friendly URLs", chances are they're already using the output buffer caching features of PHP for this, so you could end up with conflicts. In a stock PostNuke setup, it should work fine though.

Chuck S
September 28th, 2005, 03:20 PM
We have tons of links throughout our program and recoding every link to use a function just for postnuke when it is such a small fraction of our business has never been a viable alternative yet to warrant recoding the entire program for such a thing.

Who knows what the future will bring though

Axe
September 28th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Well, given that it integrates (to a similar degree) with Mambo, and other software, it may be a good way to add "enhanced" functionality, similar to the vb3 enhancements you offer. Future-proofing :)

mlucek
September 28th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Yes, he rewrote the URLs (kinda). He rewrote them to go through that function. That function looks to see if $Globals['vbversion'] is "postnuke", and if it is, send back a module URL, if it isn't, send back the URL as normal.

Once that's done, it doesn't need to be done again in future versions, and with that function in place, it'll still work as a normal standalone.
Exactly, it's a 1-time code change.

We have tons of links throughout our program and recoding every link to use a function just for postnuke when it is such a small fraction of our business has never been a viable alternative yet to warrant recoding the entire program for such a thing.

Who knows what the future will bring though
As I explained going on a year ago, this 1-time code base change will thus allow PP to integrate much much easier with (not just) PostNuke, PHPNuke and related, Mambo and any other CMS that uses URL parameters.

And it's transparent to those running standalone or with VB.

Simple.