PDA

View Full Version : Need new forum to attach to photopost

nnowakow
April 1st, 2005, 12:51 AM
I currently have PHPBB running as my forum software. I implemented it when I purchased photopost and they share the same user registration database.

PHPBB has been constantly under attack lately and the latest was pretty bad. So, I want turn off phpbb / remove it from my server.

What happens if I turn off PHPBB? Will it disable photopost? Am I correct in assuming that I would need to replace phpbb with something else like vBulletin? Is vBulletin having the same hacking problem as PHPBB?

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Natasha

nnowakow
April 1st, 2005, 12:55 AM
sorry, I just read:

"Note that no forum is required for uploads or photo comments."

I would be fine in not having a forum for a while. What would happen if I just shut off phpbb? Will be still be able to register on photopost?

And when later I decide to add a forum, how difficult will it be to migrate?

Thanks.
Natasha

Michael P
April 1st, 2005, 07:32 AM
If you turn off your forums, then users will not be able to register since it requires your boards to register. Changing integration types would require you to write an "import" script to move your user database over to the new forum.

As for migrating, as long as you are running PP5 you'll be able to do a conversion to another board - as long as the USERIDs stay the same between conversions, there is nothing you'll need to do for the PP side (that I can think of, depends alot on which forum you switch to).