PDA

View Full Version : using photopost as a product gallery with links to buy?

rrr
March 19th, 2005, 01:49 AM
I would like to use photopost (in conjunction with vB) to allow the members of my forum to upload pictures of their products.

For example, if I'm running a candle makers forum, and all my forum members have their own online stores selling custom made candles, I'd like them to be able to upload a picture each of their candles and have each candle photo be able to be linked to their website page that is selling that candle.

They would specify the URL of the page selling the candle (it would be different for each candle) when they upload the image.

That way, when a customer interested in candles comes across the gallery, they can see the candle they click and either click on the picture or a "buy this candle now" link and be taken to the candle merchants website to complete the purchase.

So for example, if this was an example page:
http://forums.gideontech.com/vps/showphoto.php?photo=1255

The picture of the computer would be linked to that user's online store selling that computer case. The description area would be a product description, keywords would still be used, and about where the "Download Image" link is, is where a "buy this item" link would go.

Would I be able to do this with photopost 5, right out of the box, or would it need some custom modifications?

I know you can add extra fields, but in past versions of photopost, if I typed a URL in the custom field, it wouldn't be hyperlinked automatically.

Basically I would need a variable like $storeURL that would create a hyperlink whenever called. Then I could add it to make the product picture hyperlinked, I could make the picture title hyperlinked, and I could add a hyperlink in the description area if needed, all using the same "tag".

Sorry for the long post, but I was envisioning how it would work as I was typing :)

Is this possible out of the box (or with minor modifications to the code)?

SaN-DeeP
March 19th, 2005, 02:00 AM
I assume Photopost Classifieds should work best for you.

rrr
March 19th, 2005, 02:40 AM
I assume Photopost Classifieds should work best for you.

Photopost Classifieds doesn't seem to do what I just described above.

I'm not really looking for a classified ads script. That's sort of a different concept from what I described.

Chuck S
March 19th, 2005, 06:41 AM
Well Photopost would do fine for you

You would need to do two things.

1. You can specify 6 extra fields per category so its no problem specifing one as Store Url or Buy Link

2. Since we dont allow html in our fields you may need to comment out the one line that checks the extra field to allow an html link although you can add bb code url links

sitka
March 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Well Photopost would do fine for you

You would need to do two things.

1. You can specify 6 extra fields per category so its no problem specifing one as Store Url or Buy Link

2. Since we dont allow html in our fields you may need to comment out the one line that checks the extra field to allow an html link although you can add bb code url links

where do you edit that code? comment what out on which file? thank you :confused:

Rids
September 21st, 2005, 05:58 PM
thats what I would like to know too :)

Chuck S
September 21st, 2005, 07:14 PM
Your dealing with a major old post here and old code

In the new code for instance in showphoto.php you would add a line such as this for extra1

$extra1 = un_htmlspecialchars($extra1);

Rids
September 21st, 2005, 07:23 PM
thanks omegatron, that gives me somewhere to start :)

Rids
September 21st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Extra thanks - it worked perfectly :)