PDA

View Full Version : PP_Classifieds/vBulletin server questions

Rich Z
March 15th, 2005, 03:35 PM
I am currently using PP_classifieds integrated with a vBulletin message board system and I think it is a great combo. I'm actually thinking about doing another one, but am not sure about how I want to do it yet. I kind of want the classifieds to be separate from the message board system, yet share the registration data from the message board database. So in effect the classifieds and the message board will be in separate domains. Is this possible to do, or even advisable?

Secondly, if part one is possible, do that HAVE to be on the same server? I have two leased servers and I'm trying to keep the load fairly balanced between them. If I attach the classifieds to the existing message board I have in mind, I will likely have to move it to my other server so I don't start having loading problems on my main box.

Just not sure how I want to do this yet, so first I want to see what I CAN do before making a decision.

Michael P
March 15th, 2005, 03:41 PM
They don't have to be on the same server as long as you don't plan to use the "vB3 Enhanced" features of the script (those require access to the vb global.php script). You can put them on seperate domains and share a common login as long as the other server can connect to the database on the other server (you have to check with your host to make sure they allow external connections).

One other thing, because you cannot share cookies across domains, while they share the same userid/password, they would still have to login twice (once on each site) as the login info is stored in seperate cookies (one for each domain).

Rich Z
March 15th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Hmm, OK. That sounds reasonable. Thanks for the reply.