PDA

View Full Version : Bulk Uploads Missing?

BobHarbison
March 6th, 2005, 11:16 PM
I've upgraded to V5, and the members are saying they no longer have the bulk upload option. Where do I restore that option and change the settings etc?

b6gm6n
March 6th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Hi..

Have you checked "Do you want to allow ZIP uploads?" in your admin settings?

-T

BobHarbison
March 7th, 2005, 09:03 AM
I asked the member what he meant, and found out he was doing something I hadn't expected, but that used to work. He was simply uploading a bunch of photos, one at a time, but from the select photos screen, which saves him a step, and then adding the descriptions etc all at once.

Why would he want to do that? Often photos in my gallery are a series, and the descriptions are identical, or nearly so. For example it may be a bunch of train photos at the same location on the same date and only the train changes. So many of the fields I ask for, i.e. Date, Location, Railroad can be cut and pasted into multiple photos.

He can still do that, but now he can't change the categories.

BobHarbison
March 10th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Here's a possible new feature suggestion for future consideration.

Vbulletin allows members to attach multiple images to each thread. I think you can configure how many they can upload, I've got it set to 4. This feature is what I was thinking of when one of my members used the term "bulk uploads".

It seems like it would be possible to add a similiar feature to photopost. If enabled, when the member clicks "upload photos" present them with a series of file name requests (how many would be able to be set by the admin) along with a pull down gallery selection menu for each.

Then you would go a bulk upload screen just like the one admins get now when they use the Photopost bulk upload system.

This would allow members to upload more than one photo at once while avoiding the problem of having to select the category before the description screen is presented.

Just a thought, I think it would work well...

Michael P
March 10th, 2005, 10:02 AM
This is already in PhotoPost - you can set the number of Upload prompts available on the Upload page in the Admin option for Uploading photos.

BobHarbison
March 10th, 2005, 10:04 AM
D'oh!

Thanks...

BobHarbison
March 10th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Just tried that and obviously you're correct, it does allow multiple uploads. However, they all have to be to the same category the way it's set up now.

I'd like to have it allow you to select each category individually. Of course that would complicate things and folks would probably say "how come we have to tell it which category for each one?" but at least some of my members apparently like to upload to multiple categories at once, since they mentioned they can no longer do so.

Michael P
March 10th, 2005, 10:10 AM
See this thread:

http://www.photopost.com/members/forum/showthread.php?t=112698