PDA

View Full Version : Whois Issue Resolution

nolnet
January 8th, 2005, 10:29 AM
I have all three of your poducts loaded and functioning on our site:

www.okctalk.com

I'm hoping someone has finally found a solution to the whois VBulletin integration issue.

When you view whois all you see is:

Unknown Location
/gallery/showgallery.php?ppuser=43&cat=500

Chuck S
January 8th, 2005, 12:52 PM
That would deal with VB3's online function and scripts. I beleive there is a discussion going on over at VB3 on this. You may check at http://www.vbulletin.org which is there hack site as from what I see at vbulletin.com they are telling people they need to hack there vb3 scripts and sending people to vbulletin.org

Hacking scripts is outside any software companies support and as such whether it is Vbulletin or Photopost we would suggest you visit the appropriate hack site.

Since this deals with Vb code and not Photopost code I would suggest Vbulletin.org

Wild Texas
January 8th, 2005, 01:40 PM
I've found a resolution -- implement the mod by Crow from Twistedcrow.com, posted over on photopostdev.com --
http://www.photopostdev.com/showthread.php?t=869&page=1&pp=15
Specifically, refer to the text file Crow attached to Message #8 in that thread.

In that same thread is additional code you'll need to add if you use Photopost's "friendly URL's" capability.

I've implemented the "hack" on my WildTexas.com website and you can see it in action (http://www.wildtexas.com/talk/online.php?order=asc&sort=username&pp=25&page=1) to determine if it does what you want it to do:

Chuck S
January 8th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Yep it works along the same line I was speaking of for UBBThreads that I pointed out earlier. Your adding language strings for the online file to know what to say when it encounters a script name.

Glad you found out how to alter your VB3 files. You might want to link that mod over at VBulletin.org on that thread you linked in our discussion. I am sure there are alot other programs users have that someone might want to have a hint on how to do it.

Wild Texas
January 8th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Will do.

Chuck, I apologize for the snit I got in. I understand the boundaries of what you can and can't support, but it gets frustrating being "shown the door" when attempting to find resolution. As Photopost offers more and more integration with vBulletin (such as these code modifications: http://www.photopost.com/members/forum/showthread.php?t=110527), more customers like me -- who aren't morons, and aren't trying to be a thorn in your side, will be posting here looking for just a little more than a curt "It ain't our problem, why ever would we help you with that?" type response.

Even when a solution's on the photopostdev.com site, it could be linked to by the support folks here instead of leaving customers fending for themselves to find the resolution, or relying on each other. More than just "go to xyz website" is sometimes the courteous thing to do. Answer the question once with a URL and you've got the forums turning into an ever-evolving FAQ of issues, even if they aren't directly related to Photopost Pro's code.

Just my long-winded two cents. I know customer support's a PITA, and I'm sorry for being one the past 24 hours or so.

Chuck S
January 8th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Shannon

No need to apologize. It is not the first time I have dealt with anything like this and I do not hold grudges at all. I just try and make the customer understand what support means versus what hacking is. Sometimes they understand sometimes not.

Honestly we help many people in a given day and it may seem like an automated response at times but when we as a support team see someone asking how to hack their code we simply inform them that this is not a function of support and they must visit the hack site.

Michael closed down photopostdev.com once upon a time because everyone expected him to help them modify code. Photopostdev.com is not associated with photopost or our products in anyway other than being a place where users can post there code modifications and help each other.

I do appreciate you taking the time to apologize though.

funkmiester
September 6th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Could someone post the code or PM it to me that Wild Texas refers to above - now photopostdev is offline, I can't get to the posting that is mentioned. I'd like to use that solution to address the Unknown Location message.

Thanks.

Chuck S
September 6th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Sorry Can't assist you Photopostdev.com is not a part of Photopost.com so I don't have access to post anything from there for ya. You may want to PM Wild Texas

funkmiester
September 6th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Yeah, did that already. Thanks.

Wild Texas
September 7th, 2005, 11:19 AM
I've done significant editing to my code, so it may take some time for me to track down which specific edits I made that I was referring to above... without that thread from photopostdev archived anywhere. :( That said, I have Beyond Compare open right now and am attempting to find it.

A little forethought, and I would have added a comment about this particular edit so I could find it later in my code. But since I have to file-compare everything every time I upgrade, I don't go to that level of detail... all edits get caught in my upgrade process (which is slow and tedious but works. :))

funkmiester
September 7th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks Wild Texas, I appreciate you going to so much trouble. I hear 'ya about Beyond Compare, it works great, but the process is indeed tedious :)

Wild Texas
September 7th, 2005, 11:43 AM
No problem.

The relevant file to edit is vBulletin's include file functions_online.php.

I'm currently running vBulletin 3.0.7, just in case things are slightly different.

In functions_online.php, find the following code (it's at the end of the very long userinfo['activity'] CASE stmt tree):

default:
if ($permissions['wolpermissions'] & CANWHOSONLINEBAD)
{
require_once('./includes/functions_login.php');
$userinfo['location'] = fetch_replaced_session_url(htmlspecialchars_uni(stripslashes($userinfo['location'])));
$userinfo['where'] = "<a href=\"$userinfo[location]\">$userinfo[location]</a>";
$userinfo['action'] = '<b>' . $vbphrase['unknown_location'] . '</b>';
}
else
{
// We were unable to parse the location
$userinfo['action'] = $vbphrase['viewing_index'];
$userinfo['where'] = "<a href=\"$vboptions[forumhome].php?$session[sessionurl]\">$vboptions[bbtitle]</a>";
}

Add the following code directly ABOVE that code block:

case 'showgallery':
$userinfo['action'] = 'Looking at Photos in the Gallery';
break;

case 'showphoto':
$userinfo['action'] = 'Looking at Photos in the Gallery';
break;

case 'slideshow':
$userinfo['action'] = 'Watching a SlideShow in the Gallery';
break;

case 'uploadphoto':
$userinfo['action'] = 'Uploading to the Gallery';
break;

case 'bulkupload':
$userinfo['action'] = 'Uploading to the Gallery';
break;

case 'editphoto':
$userinfo['action'] = 'Editing a photo in the Gallery';
break;

case 'searching':
$userinfo['action'] = 'Searching in the Gallery';
break;

case 'downloading':
$userinfo['action'] = 'Downloading Photos from the Gallery';
break;

Now, find the following:

unset($values);
while ($token !== false)
{
$token = strtok('&');
$parts = explode('=', $token);
if (!empty($parts[1]))
{
$values["$parts[0]"] = $parts[1];
}
}

And add this directly below it:

if (preg_match('/(.+)showphoto(.+)/',$userinfo['location']))
{
$filename = "showphoto.php";
}
else if (preg_match('/(.+)showphoto(.+)/',$userinfo['location']))
{
$filename = "showgallery.php";
}
else if (preg_match('/(.+)showmembers(.+)/',$userinfo['location']))
{
$filename = "showphoto.php";
}
else if (preg_match('/(.+)showgallery(.+)/',$userinfo['location']))
{
$filename = "showgallery.php";
}

And, now find this code (it's at the end of the very long // Showthread CASE stmt tree):
default:
$userinfo['activity'] = 'unknown';
}

return $userinfo;
}

Add the following directly ABOVE that code block:

case 'showgallery.php':
$userinfo['activity'] = 'showgallery';
break;

case 'showphoto.php':
$userinfo['activity'] = 'showphoto';
break;

case 'slideshow.php':
$userinfo['activity'] = 'slideshow';
break;

case 'uploadphoto.php':
$userinfo['activity'] = 'uploadphoto';
break;

case 'bulkupload.php':
$userinfo['activity'] = 'bulkupload';
break;

case 'editphoto.php':
$userinfo['activity'] = 'editphoto';
break;

case 'search.php':
$userinfo['activity'] = 'searching';
break;

case 'zipdownload.php':
$userinfo['activity'] = 'downloading';
break;

That should be it. I don't remember editing any other include files, but if this doesn't do it let me know and I'll look at my other files, as well.

vbulletin.org also has a mod available (haven't tried it, so can't vouche for it) that is supposed to make additing add'l locations easier...with no file edits required, using vBulletin's admin panel (I think).

Here's the vbulletin.org thread for the mod (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32849&highlight=custom+location) and the vB3 version of the mod (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=530769), as well.

funkmiester
September 7th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Hi,

Many thanks Wild Texas - it works great, but with a couple of exceptions.

1. When a user is at the Gallery index page, the online VB page says they're viewing the Forum index page.

2. When a user is actually viewing an individual photo, I see the "Unknown Location" message in the VB online page.

What does work is the Slideshow and Upload and when they are viewing a Category full of photos.

So it's about 50% working.

Any ideas if there's perhaps something else that needs doing? Again I'm on VB 3.08 and PP 5.14 - so I realize there are some slight differences. I can live with it like it is, but if you have any further thoughts, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Wild Texas
September 8th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Do you have smart/spiderable URLs enabled or disabled? I have them enabled, and don't have the issues you describe. I do have one instance where I get an Unknown Location, but it doesn't fit either of the scenarios you mentioned. (It happens so rarely, I really haven't figured out why/when it happens on my site.)

funkmiester
September 9th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Yes, I have "Use Spider-friendly URLs?" set to "Yes".

Hmmm :confused:

Crow
October 24th, 2005, 04:34 PM
I've found a resolution -- implement the mod by Crow from Nitro-Powered.com, posted over on photopostdev.com --
http://www.photopostdev.com/showthread.php?t=869&page=1&pp=15
Specifically, refer to the text file Crow attached to Message #8 in that thread.

I'll see about updating my old 3.0.X hack to the new vb 3.5.X
I'll see about making a plugin for it or something.:)

This isn't going to be easy... I've never done anything using these "plug-in" system vB3.5 uses now.

funkmiester
November 5th, 2005, 09:28 PM
I'll see about updating my old 3.0.X hack to the new vb 3.5.X
I'll see about making a plugin for it or something.:)

This isn't going to be easy... I've never done anything using these "plug-in" system vB3.5 uses now.This would be great if you do - please keep us posted, as this is one thing I'm going to miss when moving to 3.5.x very soon.

Thanks.

Pasqualis
November 7th, 2005, 06:04 PM
That would be great Crowsworld!

The current extension found at vbulletin.org (Add Custom WOL Locations from ACP) doesn't seem to work when your photopost directory is outside the board directory, so I really hope you can help us out here with such hack! :)

Crow
November 9th, 2005, 12:29 AM
I'm afraid I'm not a good enough coder to get this to work.. I'm sorry, as I REALLY want this also since I run reviewpost and photopost on my site I hate seeing that in the whos online section of VB. :(

funkmiester
November 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM
Thanks anyway. Hopefully Michael and/or Chuck could include such a feature
(as requested elsewhere (http://www.photopost.com/members/forum/showthread.php?t=116313)) in the stock Photopost PHP Pro product.....in the next update ideally :)

Chuck S
November 10th, 2005, 01:44 PM
This would always be a hack or mod or such since we do not and will not touch VBulletin files.

funkmiester
November 10th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Ok, so feel free to post a working solution in either the PhotoPost Supported Modifications or PhotoPost Unsupported Modifications forums ;)

Chuck S
November 10th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Sorry you won't see this from me. I do not have the time and I have not even began to read up on how to create modifications on VB 3.5's new hack system