PDA

View Full Version : Can this happen?

Sal Collaziano
January 7th, 2005, 02:12 PM
I know this probably sounds difficult but I think it's important.. I was considering buying ReviewPost for my sites, but then got scared-away at the thought of upgrading ANOTHER file individually.. In this day and age, site owners are having to upgrade and monitor so many different scripts for vulnerabilities and other security issues. For example, I run 4 vBulletins. In the past few days, I've had to upgrade these scripts twice because of security issues.. Then, I've got my PhotoPosts to worry about and upgrade from time to time, my Classifieds - I've got a couple of phpBBs that I've needed to upgrade in the past couple of weeks - do I really want to add ReviewPosts now?

For site owners who are REALLY into the game and run quite a few web sites, this can really become a time-consuming hassle.. Is there any possibility of having a Suite of all the products available here in one? This way, when sites need to be upgraded for whatever reasons, it can just be done once per domain - instead of three times each?

Michael P
January 7th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Since each product is developed independently, that would be very difficult. Also, while we do have alot of customers who own multiple products we would have to support every variation of those we offer.

Unfortauntely, there really isn't a way around it. And, like vBulletin, there have been times when we've had to offer security fixes in short timeframes. It's unfortunate, but never deliberate.

Sal Collaziano
January 7th, 2005, 02:56 PM
Yeah, that's what I thought. It would be nice - but too difficult to do properly.. I suppose in a perfect world.....

Michael P
January 7th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yeah, I agree. It does get frusurating for everyone when you have multiple products on your site and then something like multiple releases happen in short order.

"I feel your pain."

I have to do the same updates and then run checks to see if our software still works. Of course, I have all my own personal sites which use vB or Threads and all of the PP lines.

Sal Collaziano
January 7th, 2005, 03:16 PM
Heh! So yeah - you know exactly where I'm coming from...