PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinion on new idea - Category Pages

Michael P
January 5th, 2005, 03:49 PM
On my personal site I have alot of categories - mostly family photos and such. But, using the gallery layout option, my page was getting pretty big - you'd have to scroll down two or three pages to see everything.

So, I got to thinking, what if I could seperate out these into "pages". I know Steve once asked about this a while back, but I never really came up with a concept until now.

http://www.michaelpierce.com/gallery/index.php?page=6

The Admin Options have a setting "how many top levels do you want to display per page" and if you leave it at 0, PhotoPost works the same. If you input something else than that determines how many top levels per page are displayed - in my case I'm displaying just 1.

I've been mucking around with some settings - like showing Members Gallery always on page 1 if people have view permissions (same with Most Recent, etc).

Anyhoo, I'm still messing around with it (in case it looks funny when you are checking it out); but I think there is some potential with this feature.

Opinions?

Michael P
January 5th, 2005, 10:03 PM
I've been playing around with it some more and changed the page #'s to titles of the top level category on the page. Titles work for one level per page, but not so well if you have more than one per page.

b6gm6n
January 6th, 2005, 12:06 AM
works well, but something doesn't quite sit well with me using the links across the top, maybe a dropdown? extra space across that top bar could be used for an extra whatever... anyways, yeah does the trick.

-T

Michael P
January 6th, 2005, 07:59 AM
I considered a sidebar index as well, but I think this will shake out as it gets some use. There might be several ways to show the index that would appeal to more, but this seems like a good starting point.