PDA

View Full Version : PhotoPost 5 Information

Michael P
December 29th, 2004, 05:25 PM
I've already started on development for PhotoPost 5 - some of the features are already on display at ViperAlley (http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/index.php).

New Features (will be continually updated):

. Photo Printing service
x Moderator assignments by category
x Unlimited extra fields including definable types using text, dropdowns, checkboxes and radio buttons
x Hidden Photos photos which can be tagged "hidden" from appearing in the gallery itself, but can be viewed with a direct link (Approve Photos has a new "Hidden Photos" which can be used to view any hidden photos).
x Contest Mode - allows a category to be set to "contest" mode where users can only vote for one photo in the category (no ratings per image)
x Advanced Sorting on showgallery pages
x improved search conditions (all words, one word matching)
x Category "max images" setting - removes oldest images as new ones are added
x Quick nav dropdown selector
x "Image ## to ## of ####" indicator on showgallery page
x Recent Posts category specific when in category
x Thumbnails with Titles in showgallery page
x Switch to turn of embedded multimedia
x Report Post
x Password variable removed from URLs and set by cookie
x System closed indicator for Admin
x Zip 'n Download optional for any category/albums
x optional rotation for thumbnails (IM users only)
x "mini" thumbnails for non-rotated thumbnails (only if rotating thumbs)
x thumbnail sharpening (IM users only)
x option to disable URL image downloads in uploadphoto
x new graphics for default message buttons
x page generation times
x MySQL errors only displayed to admin
x new thumbnail handling to remove php code from thumbnail templates and read the thumbnail file only once during execution
x optional big image window popup (see example site (http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/18392))
x album titles clickable to album from album admin page
x removed userid from new file uploads - files retain original name unless same filename has been uploaded to same category (support for legacy filenames included)
x changed # of comments not to count votes if you are not displaying votes without comments
x Print View of just image to allow for easy printing of photo
. vB3 avatars improved to show file system avatars, db stored and site selected avatars

Performance Updates
x Category info cache query optimization (significant reduction in queries for showgallery page)
x Thumbnails and med images moved to own directories
x .threads Users count taken from cache table (saves time on larger sites)
x Photo Views caching table to improve performance by saving an UPDATE query
x query optimizations on index, showgallery, showphoto (saves 6 queries on showphoto, 4 queries on index, and on showgallery 6 standard queries + with 30 thumbnails being displayed saves 30 queries for a total of 36 saved queries on this page)

Script Consolidation
x consolidation of multiple scripts into one multipurpose script (12 scipts into 1)
x consolidation of admin scripts (15 into 1)
x consolidation of all upgrade scripts into one upgrade script
x consolidation of language files into one sorted file - all strings moved to language files

Layout Improvements
x configurable index paging (see example site (http://www.michaelpierce.com/gallery/index.php))
x News/Announcements Box for index page (contents set in admin)
x Category Intro Boxes to display a custom box of text for a category (set in admin categories) (see example (http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/503))
x new layout for Edit Usergroups to accomidate smaller browser windows
x 24-hour time format selection (in Admin Options/Global Options)
x 10 new styles provided by Toney (see this thread (http://www.photopost.com/members/forum/showthread.php?t=111309))
x gallery layout now an option (file copy not required)
x edit header/footer/headtags file from Admin
x user selectible frames for albums
x user selectible styles for albums (when not using integrated forum styles)
x category specific thumbnail borders (can override site default)
x 7 new selectible thumbnail frames
x Admin Category list has collapse/expand selection removed for cats with no children

(x indicates code completed or being tested on URL at top)

Razgo
December 29th, 2004, 06:24 PM
We are planning a much tighter integration with PP5 that will use even more elements of vB3 within PhotoPost and put PhotoPost templates/phrases directly into vB3. Administrative functions will also be contained in the vB3 Admin panel.
thank you!! :)

mjm
December 29th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Excellent news to start off the new year! PhotoPost Pro is getting better and better.
All the best to everyone at PhotoPost
Mark and Carole

iphoto
December 30th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Great News indeed :D Best of luck and Happy New Year!

garybrun
December 31st, 2004, 03:32 AM
Great News. Any chance of more support on the phpBB side of things.

cpmike
December 31st, 2004, 06:32 AM
Cool, i can't find anny beta release ;) hehe..

mtbkanata
January 1st, 2005, 01:08 PM
What are you thinking for the photo printing service? FotoWire?? That would be cool... then we can just add in the Fotowire ID of the printer of our choice! (Good for us who are not in USA and don't want to use Shutterfly or things like that).

SaN-DeeP
January 4th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Hello Micheal,
I would recommend you one important thing from my point..
More better admin controllable options :), logs, etc. this should add photpost a charm.

Also placement of gallery navigation links should be improved for easy of viewers

Regards,

b6gm6n
January 4th, 2005, 08:31 AM
Category "max images" setting - removes oldest images as new ones are added
oh my days! :)

-T

SaN-DeeP
January 4th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Can also post the server loads, queries executed etc. information ?
giving an option to administrators to control who should be able to see the same :)

Regards,

Michael P
January 4th, 2005, 11:35 AM
You can display queries executed and page load times; I don't have any server load info, but can see about adding it.

The reworked language and template files, along with some category caching is having a big impact on reducing page generation times:

http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/index.php

I'll try to do some measurements to see ho wmuch faster PP5 is, but already its very noticable.

Michael P
January 6th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Two new features for review:

Big image in seperate window popup:

http://www.extremefitness.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2274

Index pages:

http://www.michaelpierce.com/gallery/index.php

SaN-DeeP
January 6th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Suggestion - Why not display the dropdown menu vbulletin style ?
instead of displaying long way currently
Gallery name >> category name >> gallery name

instead having
-Category Name
---Gallery name

:)

Michael P
January 6th, 2005, 01:29 PM
All you've done is add a <br> tag to the last category and put the category on its own line, right?

criscokid
January 7th, 2005, 12:51 PM
I've already started on development for PhotoPost 5 - some of the features are already on display at ViperAlley (http://www.viperalley.com/gallery/index.php).

New Features (will be continually updated):

. Photo Printing service

Please consider using PrintButton - "PrintButton" bolts on sophisticated e-commerce and print ordering facilities. For more information visit www.printbutton.com

Reuters News Agency uses this service so it must bee good. You get to set your own price that photos sell for in various formats & sizes. For a list of some of the sites that use PrintButton take a look at www.printbutton.com/pbcom_examples.html

criscokid
January 7th, 2005, 01:04 PM
Two new features for review:

Big image in seperate window popup:
http://www.extremefitness.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2274

Excellent!! Relly like this feature!!

Michael P
January 7th, 2005, 01:31 PM
This is a UK based business?

If it's just one line of html code (as their index page says); how hard is this to just inert into the showphoto.tmpl if you want to use it?

aberg
January 7th, 2005, 02:47 PM
We will be branching the vB3 Enhanced version off from PhotoPost 5 for a seperate download that is all ready for easy integration into vB3. We are planning a much tighter integration with PP5 that will use even more elements of vB3 within PhotoPost and put PhotoPost templates/phrases directly into vB3. Administrative functions will also be contained in the vB3 Admin panel.

The integration into VB3 is with the new update from photopost very easy.
Because there are regelair updates from VB3 and Photopost don't change this new integration
Now it is very easy to update to new versions.
In one week Vbulletin updates two times 3.03. to 3.04 and today from 3.04 to 3.05.
When vbulletin must be upgrade than all hacks must be install again.
Now only the index file is needed to update for integration in vbulletin.
So please make no more hacks needed for integration.
I use two database and it works perfect.

criscokid
January 7th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Their website gives a UK address.

A userguide is available at http://images.photobox.co.uk/files/printbuttonuserguide.pdf

By the sounds of things they do a good job shipping worldwide...
"PhotoBox streamlines the sale of Reuters Pictures to our retail customers globally. By handling the printing, e-commerce and dispatch of orders, we are able to focus on producing striking picture collections."
Jassim Ahmad - Pictures Marketing Manager, Reuters Media

Michael P
January 7th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael P
We will be branching the vB3 Enhanced version off from PhotoPost 5 for a seperate download that is all ready for easy integration into vB3. We are planning a much tighter integration with PP5 that will use even more elements of vB3 within PhotoPost and put PhotoPost templates/phrases directly into vB3. Administrative functions will also be contained in the vB3 Admin panel.

The integration into VB3 is with the new update from photopost very easy.
Because there are regelair updates from VB3 and Photopost don't change this new integration
Now it is very easy to update to new versions.
In one week Vbulletin updates two times 3.03. to 3.04 and today from 3.04 to 3.05.
When vbulletin must be upgrade than all hacks must be install again.
Now only the index file is needed to update for integration in vbulletin.
So please make no more hacks needed for integration.
I use two database and it works perfect.

There are many benefits to how we integrate with vB at this time and that won't change. We're just exploring some alternatives; however, recent vB activity is making us reconsider that approach at this time.

Michael P
January 7th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Their website gives a UK address.

A userguide is available at http://images.photobox.co.uk/files/printbuttonuserguide.pdf

By the sounds of things they do a good job shipping worldwide...
"PhotoBox streamlines the sale of Reuters Pictures to our retail customers globally. By handling the printing, e-commerce and dispatch of orders, we are able to focus on producing striking picture collections."
Jassim Ahmad - Pictures Marketing Manager, Reuters Media

We're currently working with a partner to provide this service; but we should look at some alternatives like this one as possible "switches" to the code.

b6gm6n
January 7th, 2005, 04:04 PM
3.0.5? my lord..not again....

-T

Michael P
January 7th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Yes, and that's why I'm leaning back towards not doing a full integration at this time. I'm not sure that our users would be real happy if they lost their templates on every upgrade and had to run a reinstall every time to get the defaults back (and lose any changes they made).

This seems to be a strong endorcement for keeping PhotoPost seperate, but integrated externally.

Nettomo
January 8th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Hi Michael P,
what is with flash, in PP5 ?

Nettomo

Wild Texas
January 8th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Sounds awesome on all fronts, Michael. Even though you did get a little sweat forming on my brow with the "consolidating 12 scripts into 1". Excellent move, and quite welcome, but oh-my-word am I gonna be living in Beyond Compare for awhile on THAT upgrade for our more heavily hacked 'n customized sites!

Michael P
January 9th, 2005, 08:16 AM
I'll give you a list of combined scripts; the "main" ones are all still there (showphoto, showgallery, etc.); mostly stuff like reportphoto, subscribe, login/logout, cookies, catopts, zipndownload, sortphotos, orderphotos, showalbums, dcfp_ath_lib and addfav.

Adm scripts are adm-: admlog, backup, editint, modcom, move, phpi, purge, templ, pa, cfgtpl, cfgedit, cfgint, editcfg, options, style

Michael P
January 13th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Feature list updated.

mtbkanata
January 17th, 2005, 08:30 AM
We're currently working with a partner to provide this service; but we should look at some alternatives like this one as possible "switches" to the code.

Michael, please look at FotoWire too! That way people around the globe can use their local printer! For us here in Canada, that is a huge bonus.. we don't have to deal with American online printers...

Michael P
January 17th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Here's the deal on the photo printing service - we're working with a partner to provide this service. I haven't looked at third-party integrations, but the system I use is pretty simple:

. When a user selects "Order Photo", the photo is added to the users "cart".
. The user is presented with a "cart" of photos which can either be submited, individual images removed or the user can continue looking at more photos.
. When the user selects submit, the URL to the images is submited to a form on the providers page.

Assuming that other third-party vendors can accept the information in this format, then I am sure people could easily modify the code to submit to their form. However, at this time, I'm not prepared to research third party vendors until I get my primary vendor in place. I'm also concerned about having to support third-party integrations with sites/companies who are not our partners; something we have to look at carefully.

I will be releasing a BETA shortly, when we do maybe you can help look into the other services so that we can possibly offer a "selectible" integration for third-praty providers.

somerfeld
January 20th, 2005, 01:10 AM
mike,

heres somethings on photo printing, my main concern is 1

1, what are you going to do for the people selling high resolution un watermarked images but on the gallery as watermarked lower resolution pictures,. are you planning on haveing a authorized location where non watermarked high res pictures will be located for the printer to use? ??

2. how about different prices or packages for different catagories or pictures?

3. offering pay to download high resolution non watermarked pictures?

Michael P
January 27th, 2005, 04:00 PM
1. No, I don't have such a plan in place at this time. More than likely I would not enable photo printing in this kind of environment.
2. Still waiting to hear from printer on our options.
3. That's entirely different from a printing service.

criscokid
January 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM
1, what are you going to do for the people selling high resolution un watermarked images but on the gallery as watermarked lower resolution pictures,. are you planning on haveing a authorized location where non watermarked high res pictures will be located for the printer to use? ??

2. how about different prices or packages for different catagories or pictures?

Photobox (who I've already recommended earlier in this thread) offers the facilities and features you mentioned in points 1 and 2.

Michael P
January 28th, 2005, 02:47 PM
This list has been updated to reflect current development efforts.