PDA

View Full Version : scalability

jlh8618
December 6th, 2004, 06:23 PM
I have a large photogallery site running on photopost that we setup a year ago. I'm starting to have issues with high loads on the server and I'm wondering is there any way to split the gallery across multiple servers? I already sync the image server and database to a second server for disaster recovery now I'm wondering if there is anyway to further expand my system.

Chuck S
December 7th, 2004, 10:50 AM
The files must be on the same system as the software

You state mysql is on an external server

I would look at tuning or fine tuning your mysql and apache settings to match your site demands.

You can also download 4.8.2 as it does get rid of some unwanted index's and such which should make things a bit faster.

jlh8618
December 7th, 2004, 11:39 AM
I don't have the strongest hardware and it is several years old. One solution is to buy new more powerful hardware, but I'm trying to minimize my expense. I'm running on dual 700mhz systems with 1gb ram. The db machine is 4 cpu with 4gb ram. My number of hits per day is running 50k - 150k when a special interest campaign runs. These numbers are trending up. The image store is about 2GB images right now. My image store is growing at about 250mb per month.

So perhaps tuning will help although we have been down the tuning path. I guess a better question is what should we expect for performance and as we grow what can we do to support additional performance other than just buying bigger machines? I'd really like to see some sort solution where I can add more boxes for more capacity. Without that I'm feeling like their is a wall out there just waiting for me to smash into it...

Michael P
December 7th, 2004, 12:09 PM
As with any setup, your performance is a combination of hardware and software. What Chuck was pointing out was that you might want to check into your server configuration to see if you can tweak out some more performance. Depending on how much your site grows, you may need to make some addition hardware changes, but I would look to ways in which to minimize your server load, including disabling some features within PhotoPost that can cause a bigger load on some servers (like ipcache'ing and new photo tracking for users).