PDA

View Full Version : Multiple IPs

SLix
November 21st, 2004, 10:26 PM
Hi folks. Does anyone have any idea why I am some times seeing multiple IPs for some members listed as "Online now" in the admin stats page?

Some times I see a user listed as many as ten times each with a diferent IP, but normally within the same IP range.

I have banned these users some times, because I assumed they were up to no good, using some downloader/leeching app, or perhaps giving out their user name pass to other people. However, I am just wondering if there may be a more inosent explaination?

Chuck S
November 22nd, 2004, 01:27 AM
Bad Idea to Ban them. Most likely they are members of aol or an ISP such as that that uses dynamic IP's. Remember most EVERY ISP uses dynamic IP's and in fact the only users on the internet with static IP's usually are your cable and dsl members which of course is a decent portion of the internet. Years ago before wide use of cable and dsl when everybody was on regular dial-up your IP always changed each time you dialed up and several times when online.

SLix
November 23rd, 2004, 12:32 AM
Well I thought about static and dynamic IPs and AOL's proxies, but these users showing multiple IPs normally appear to be on multiple pages within the gallery at the same time, such as index, showgallery, showphoto etc. Which made me think that perhaps they had multiple connections going on, or were doing some sort of leeching.

Oh well, the poor blighters are banned now! B=0