PDA

View Full Version : Cross-linked reviews; currencies

denby
November 13th, 2004, 04:09 PM
I have a reviews system which uses a flat file db. Yeah I know, it's a nightmare and I need to shift to a MySQL db. Anyway my system includes cross links between reviews of vendors and reviews of products: you can hop back and forth. So if Vendor A sells Products 1,2,3 there are links from the reviews page for Vendor A to the reviews pages for Products 1,2 and 3. Likewise if Product 1 is sold by Vendor A and B, there are also links from the reviews page for Product 1 to Vendors A and B.

I noticed at ViperAlley that they had cross-links from some? vendor's reviews to reviews of products sold by that vendor.

Is that a standard feature for RP 2.8 or a hack?
Is it possible to create links back from the product reviews to the vendors as well?

My site is quite international in nature and the reviews system accommodates the entry of product prices in all currencies? Does RP make allowance for multiple currencies? I assume not since this would completely wreck the price average values! :eek:

Michael P
November 15th, 2004, 09:34 AM
The ReviewPost you see on ViperAlley (http://www.viperalley.com/viperrev/index.php) was customized to provide cross-linking between vendors and products; it is not something that is handled by ReviewPost out-of-the-box. (This is because the system isn't perfect and I never took the time to figure out how to take it beyond what I did for my site.)

ReviewPost also doesn't handle different forms of currency.

Both features would have to be modified to the actual product (maybe removing the average pricing altogether).