PDA

View Full Version : 2 vbulletin sites, 2 reviewpost installs, 1 database?

cleck673
August 8th, 2004, 03:42 PM
I want to share the database between two vbulletin 3.0 sites. I would be using the sites user databases. Can this be done?

Chuck S
August 8th, 2004, 03:57 PM
All the domains would need to be on the same server.

cleck673
August 8th, 2004, 03:59 PM
That would be no problem. I would need 2 licenses? Would there be any hacking needed?

cleck673
August 8th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Well...the domains are on the same server and the sql databases are on another....

Chuck S
August 8th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Yes but did you not say you have 2 licenses already? Yes one license per domain does not matter if you intent to use the same database or not.

Now no hacking involved. You would install one copy the normal way except one thing. The other one would be a clone except both installs would have the data and upload paths to one of the installs. Otherwise the URL paths would all be like this

/reviewpost

instead of

http://www.domain.com/reviewpost

cleck673
August 8th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks. Once I get the 1st one up and running the way I want, http://www.ipaqhq.com/ureviews, I will buy the second license for Aximsite.com and get that going. (Eventually, all my vbulletin sites will be one site anyway, but for now...)

cleck673
August 12th, 2004, 03:25 AM
before I purchase this second license, I want to confirm that it will work the way I want.... Thanks

1. Will domainX and domainY share the same database.
2. Can domainX and domainY each use their own user database (if so, how does it work?)
3. Can domainX and domainY each use their own templates from the forums.

I want it to look like separate instances, but share the same products. Thanks!

Michael P
August 12th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Yes, you can do this. I did a similiar thing for two sites - one was a paysite, the other a free site. Both had their own look, but shared the same database for content. You will probably have to use the global override feature which allows you to override database settings for the second install, but its a part of PhotoPost and I'd be glad to help you with the syntax.

cleck673
August 12th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Thanks. I just purchased the additional license and I will try to figure it out.... if I need help, post here? Thanks!

Michael P
August 13th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Post in the Installs area and we'll help out.

cleck673
August 14th, 2004, 10:50 PM
Added a question in the install area now. Thanks.