PDA

View Full Version : Integrating With Unsupported Forum

ldk
June 21st, 2004, 03:07 PM
Hello,

I just purchased PhotoPost and after I get it installed I'm going to modify it to work with my SMF forum.

I read the instructions for installing (by running install.php) and it looks like at some point it's going to ask me if I want PhotoPost to use it's own "Internal User registration system" or to use my forum's registration system.

Since my forum isn't supported by PhotoPost "as is" what should I choose this step of the installation?

Should I start modifying the PhotoPost source files to work with my forum even before running the install script?

Thanks.

Michael P
June 21st, 2004, 03:34 PM
If you plan to do a custom integration, you would need to do the mods first. Otherwise you would use the internal registration system and people would have to signup for their own PP account.

ldk
June 21st, 2004, 04:43 PM
If you plan to do a custom integration, you would need to do the mods first. Otherwise you would use the internal registration system and people would have to signup for their own PP account.

Sounds good. So do you recommend just taking the files that go with one of the currently supported forums and editing them?

For example editing these two files so that they match up to SMF's structure?

/forums/phpbb2.php
/usergroups-phpbb2.sql

Chuck S
June 21st, 2004, 04:54 PM
You would edit them correct.

ldk
June 21st, 2004, 05:27 PM
So those are the only two files that would need to be changed?

Can you recommend which one of those existing forum-types would be the best template to follow?

Chuck S
June 21st, 2004, 05:46 PM
We have no idea. I personally have never heard of SMF forum

ldk
June 21st, 2004, 05:52 PM
We have no idea. I personally have never heard of SMF forum

Just wondering if perhaps one of those forum-specific modifications might be newer or more robust or cleaner, etc than the others.

And just FYI -- SMF is Simple Machines Forum which is the new incarnation of YaBB SE: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php

scubaj
September 9th, 2004, 08:07 AM
I am also looking at doing this intergration of PhotoPost and SMF. Any real pointers in the matter would be greatly appreciated!

-Jay

Michael P
September 13th, 2004, 09:44 AM
If you take one of the forum integration scripts, then you can use it as a tempalte for integrating with another forum. It's not a "simple" process because you have to figure out how the forum stores the login/session cookies and then map all the fields to the new database. It typically takes me 4-6 hours to do a single intergation.