I haven't bought a licence renewal for some time and I am still at version 6. Currently I see no need to upgrade, because I see no appealing features in PP 7. PP is a good gallery, but misses a lot of integration with vbulletin and as others have mentioned in this thread, the interface and feature set is outdated.
The lack of integration causes my users to miss new photos and barely anyone discusses photo's on PP. Mind that I have a big board. Combining vbulletin with PP will result in 3 image systems: attachments, albums and photopost. That adds a lot of confusion and hassle to the user.
I do think a flashuploader is a good improvement. I remember drooling over it back in 2005. Nice to see it will be a reality now.
What I am missing:
- Make PP a vbulletin content type.
- Use vbulletin comments.
- Integrate with vbulletin search and 'what's new' button.
- Add vb reputation to entries.
- Integrate with or replace vbulletin profile albums.
- Integrate with the attachment manager.
- Integrate with groups images and blog images.
- vb widgets and forums side blocks
- integrate with vbulletin tags
- A number of Image Sliders and Content Sliders to display in vbadvanced and vbCMS
- pictorials / tutorials
- carousels & accordions
- import albums from flickr, etc.
- YUI, jQuery enhancements to the UI
- iPhone / android widget
- Google Image search enhancements / sitemap
A careful review of wordpress plugins, flickr and the modern UI of imagevuex will give you a good idea of what features are missing.
I do think that with vbulletin image gallery coming up, PP really needs to outperform it by far to stay attractive. The vb
image gallery will be available in the suite for no additional cost. PP has been one of the top products for quite a while because there was little real competition and PP had most of the modern functionality until some years ago.