Ah man I should have quit while I was ahead. I wanted to make sure I got all of the updated files, not just the vb3.php file and so I copied up the rest of the new files and now it doesn't work again!!!
Ugh! Something in one of those other files broke it!
For example in this review: Catback Exhaust System - My Articles
Look at my sigpic, it is trying to display http://www.caymanclub.net/signaturepics/sigpic3_4.gif
The problem is that my signature is actually: http://www.caymanclub.net/signaturepics/sigpic3_7.gif
So something isn't right now in the math of how it figures the number of instances of uploads of the sigpic images and it was something in one of the other files that broke this... ugh!
Of course I didn't do a backup of those file, I just trusted that they will work. I am going to go to my 4.03 download and put the 4.03 file versions back on my server and just use the 4.04 version of vb3.php until the problem is tracked down.