I created a post, but instead of relying on you to answer a sorta vague question, I figured I would better organize the specific questions that I have and hopefully I will be able to get a better response than I would have. I also had a chance to play around with features and see what other questions I needed to ask. Here we go
1. There are a bunch of settings in the admincp that I'm wondering if they take much server resources. Here's what they are marked as in the admincp:
Allow users to be notified of new posts via email?
Show Random images on Index page?
Display new comments/photos indicator on index?
Display number of viewers on categories?
Show Last Photo column on Index
Allow users to send e-Cards?
Display quickratings under photos?
Number of photos to display in the most recent additions section?
I don't know if you (Chuck?) remember, but I was the one that my host claimed my gallery was taking approx 30% of my servers CPU, so that's one reason why I'm a little concerned about this. As mentioned in my other ticket I'm just wondering if any of this takes a good amount of resources for the feature it provides? I know you don't know what features are important to me, but I'm looking for anything that you can help with. I don't want to completely turn off all the cool features PP has.
2. How does "Mobile Phone Integration: EMail address for images" work? What happens if I enable it?
3. What does "Use uniform thumbnail feature?" do? I enabled it, but it didn't do what I thought it would.
4. Is it possible to get search results back into a gallery type of look instead of in a bunch of spaced out rows? (I mean like if the old way was left in or something, not to recode it for me) If not without completely recoding it back, can I put my recommendation in to do something else? I see the point of putting it in rows so it can show descriptions, but for images that have short descriptions, there's a lot of wasted space. Perhaps something for future versions would be a look of what it looked like previously (I was on 5.03) and it looked like a regular gallery. But the improvement could be that when you mouse over the thumbnail, the description shows up in a mouseover window? Just an idea.
5. If I turn on the "Enable watermarking of photos with overlay image?" I see that it overlays my watermark over the images on my site. Which is going to use more resources do you think, to really process the watermark onto the image or to use the "on the fly" watermarking?
If you think the "on the fly", can you tell me, what I need to change in the settings so that the actual watermark stops getting placed on the image? I don't know where to take that out, but keep the on the fly watermarking knowing where my watermark image file is.
6. If I use on the fly watermarking, is it possible for people to take my images without watermarks or is it pretty secure? Meaning, if they know where the data directory and the user id number, could they get access to all the images without watermarks?
7. Can you help me change some code on bulk upload. I really need help on this. The problem is that on each picture that shows up on the bulkupload page, it has a dropdown menu of all the categories on the site. The problem is that I have categories coming out the wazoo, so this bulk upload page with just a few images, takes extremely long to load because each of those dropdown menus has to contain a list of all the categories.
Is it possible, to remove this dropdown menu like I had it before on 5.03 so that if you want to bulk upload images to a category, you simply go to that category, and then you click the upload photos button, but on the page, it doesn't have all those dropdown menus and it just defaults to the category I clicked the upload photos link in?
I checked the code and the problem that I'm having, is that there's an if/else statement and I don't know what I need to remark out and what not to so that it doesn't screw up any other part of the script. Can you please help me with this.
8. I had links on my site that helped users find items. For example I had a link called "wallpaper" and the link was http://www.gamersgallery.com/gallery...&condition=and
so it did a search and looked for "wallpaper" in the titles. I started thinking... could this be the reason for my CPU resources getting so high? Anyways, is it possible for me to still do this with other code? That above link doesn't work anymore, but if I can get it to work on the latest version and if it doesn't take resources, then I'm interested. If you think that could be the source of the high resources, let me know and I simply wont offer it any more.
9. I like how the search results are limited to a specified number, but I believe my users like to use the search results as an archiving method (as mentioned the above links I created). Is it possible to make it (or simply take it as a suggestion) to make it so that if somebody reaches the end of that 500 pages, and wants to keep going, there is a button that they can click to search the NEXT 500? If this were done, you could probably have the default smaller than 500 too. It would also be nice to have it tell you what results you were viewing out of those 500 or whatever the search limit is set to. Lastly, a search within results would be very cool.
This got pretty long, but hopefully some of these suggestions make it worth while.
Thanks for all your help, once again a very nice script now that I've upgraded to the latest and greatest. I really like the ajax parts in it and the messaging system. A little disappointed that true SEO
urls aren't in it though with putting the image title in the url.