Thanks for the more explicit directions. I got the problem fixed last night. Although I ended up wiping my entire web site and starting over I think the problem was MySQL gave us the prefix as yours did (it was long) and I confused it with the PP prefix and thought they had to be the same and it wouldn't work with either the long one or the same, not sure which. When I recreated the site I changed the default sql prefix to a short one and then used pp_ for my classifieds prefix and all went well.
One note to change in the install instructions besides explaining this prefix thing, is they are wrong on the CHMOD for config_inc.php...I had to make it 666 before I could save the new config - NOT 664 AS THE INSTRUCTIONS STATED!
THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP.